Parts Guns - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Re: Parts Guns

there is a pre 64 on 24hourcampfire right now in 270 that has the wrong rear sight the bolt has been jeweled and a pad has been added, thats all i could tell without digging, and he advertised it as being 98% condition and all original. i posted that i had never seen that kind of a pad or a jeweled bolt or the rear sight on a pre 64 and that i was pretty sure that it lowered the condition to well below 98%. i think the guy was [censored], but i could care less if it saved someone else their hard earned money. lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I am a for Gunbroker and others having an open question link on each item where the potential buyers questions are seen by all. That would smoke out both the dishonest seller as well as the guy who really doesn't know. Like here on HPA, if someone is misrepresenting something, on purpose or not, it is usually called out publicly, and the seller often thanks the person asking the question. Absolute best lately was the guy on Pennswoods with a single shot Cresent shotgun for $1200, he called it a rare antique ! It was one of the old tentpost shotguns with somones name stamped on it. Back then, Cresent would stamp anything you wanted on the barrel if you ordered a large enough quanity. You could have new shotguns in your window that said " Bobs Hardware Store", they sold for $10 bucks.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:18 PM

i consider myself very knowledgable about old remington pump guns, the models 14 & 141. the variations are considerable. i have seen some real doozies being passed off. cut down rifles being sold as factory carbines, wood being passed off as original when its clearly not, etc. when i see these things i generally send an email to the guy respectfully correcting him. many times i do not hear back. some guys have actually gotten mad at me and argued when i knew for 100% that i was right. i like the selection on GB and the other sites but you really need to know your stuff. easy to get ripped off.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM

Joe the Logger, What do you know about a Davis Certified shotgun, Manufactured by Cresent-Davis Arms, Norwich. Conn.
(410 double) Not just a Cresent.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Davis in a nutshell! Company founded 1853 by N.R. Davis.
Merged to form Warner Davis in 1917, moved production from Mass. to New York and Conneticut.
Davis held 6 patents for breechloading guns, which were aquired in aquisition by Cresent Arms in 1930.
Cresent produced Cresent-Davis guns for five years until 1935, yours was made in that time frame.
Cresent single shots are worth less than $100 mint.
Doubles in standard gauges not much more....BUT>>>>
Double .410 is collectable. In excellent shape, they go for 3 or 4 hundred bucks. Not rare or fancy, but neat.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:51 AM

During the Vietnam war the NVA made crude copies of
1911A1 pistols. Supposedly they are quite collectable
if you can find them.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thats true, war collectables are vast and mind boggling. People collect everything from war time. POW art is a HUGE thing right now, things captives made from trash, thread, thier own skin and hair, etc. Confederate civil war items, if they can be authenticated, are almost priceless.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 02:28 AM

There is another weapon that I can think of the name of
the maker, but it resembles a Springfield Trapdoor rifle,
but I believe it is a shotgun. Anyhow these were made in
Europe and were traded for slaves in Africa. I think Im
telling this right. I have only handled one of them.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Not sure which one you mean, but the guns for slaves connection was absolute. Samuel Galton, English statesman and small arms manufacturer was the biggest. He ammassed an incredible fortune supplying guns for slaves. Just one example from a reference book I have states that England produced and delivered over 100,000 small arms to slave traders in 1788 alone. Remember, each gun made by hand, thats incredible.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho
During the Vietnam war the NVA made crude copies of
1911A1 pistols. Supposedly they are quite collectable
if you can find them.
They have been hand making counterfeit guns in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Turkey for years from scrap steel. I have a small collection of these and the quality ranges from ridiculous to very hard to detect. Pakistan Gun Market

Here is an authentic 1901 Lee Enfield I* that was converted to 8mm by the Turks by rebarreling, removing the magazine and adding a floorplate. This one is legit and shoots well.

Turk Tribesman with converted Enfield

Now here's a handmade Enfield copy that had the bore drilled off-center. Nice conversation piece but unsafe to fire. I have some with brazed on parts and casting sand still in the chambers.

Notice the crude handwork and screwed-up numbering on the front volley sight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page