The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor

19K views 112 replies 17 participants last post by  huntin-nut 
#1 · (Edited)
This will be a little project of mine. After buying a TC Venture a couple of years ago for coyote hunting, based on the advise of one friend and mainly wanting something inexpensive, I was so impressed by the accuracy of a low cost rifle that I've sorta been intrigued with them since. Been wanting to get my hands on a Ruger American for awhile just to see what they will do. This is my first Ruger rifle. Reviews look very good. I thought I would start a thread and post my progress as I go. Part of it will do with working up a load and components. I am not posting it in the reloading forum or long range forum simply because the focus will mainly be the rifle. My goal initially will be to keep the rifle as I bought it, inexpensive, also using an inexpensive scope, although I may eventually upgrade. As for loading components, no, I don't do that cheap. My intended purpose will be to compete in factory class 2,3, and 500 yard shoots. If it shoots well I will also shoot some 1k steel shoots. Yes I said 1k. Laugh, but stay tuned. (; I also will likely do some groundhog hunting with it.
For starters the initial setup is the factory rifle. Scope is a Sightmark 10-40x56 Triple Duty Mil-Dot Dot. Burris Signature Series Zee Rings. (I know not cheap but I prefer these). Caldwell Bipod for long range groundhog.

It sounds like a lot of scope but it really wasn't expensive. I got it in the spring of 2016 through Optics Planet for $250. Functionally I've been very happy with it. Dials consistently and comes back to zero repeatedly. Has crisp audible clicks. Very impressed with turrets at this price. Glass quality? Lol, 40 power at $250? It leaves A LOT to be desired as expected. Does reasonable to around 20 power but after that the clarity really falls off. I used it on a 223 last year shooting at 500yds, on 40 power I was able to center in bulls eye but definitely needed a spotting scope for the clarity to see holes in paper.

The Zee Rings have the .010 offset inserts so I was able to set the scope up with a 20moa cant. I should be able to dial out to 1k.

I have yet to start loading. I will post more as I go. Remember, this project is to see what can be done with an off the rack budget rifle. If it lives up to it's reviews, and shoots as well as my TC did, many of you doubters will be impressed, and those of you who think you can't get into shooting some distance at a very reasonable cost will have new optimism. As always, time will tell, but I'm very optimistic. Stay tuned.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking forward to your reports. I'm tossing around the idea of picking one up in .204. Recently picked up a American compact .223 for a cheap walk around deer gun in crappy weatherand that thing is so nice and handy and shoots lights out. I was really impressed.

#3 ·
Looking forward to your reports.

Me too!

I was going to buy a Ruger America in 22-250 but the Creedmoor impressed me. I could not make up my mind. I decided to hold off for now.

I look forward to your reports.

#4 · (Edited)
Got my Dies. Will be using a Redding Full Length Bushing sizing die, with a .290 neck bushing to start.
A Wilson chamber type bullet seater die used with an Arbor Press.
Will start with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets, Federal 210m primers, and Norma brass.
Haven't decided which powder to start with. I have a few options in the cabinet. More on that later.
Will use the modified case and my O.A.L. guage to determine bullet seating depth. Will start .005 off the lands.

Hopeing to get an accurate load with a hunting bullet so I can go from match shooting right to the field. I'll let the rifle have the final say though.

Attachments

#5 ·
I will be anxious to see how you are making out. I bought the same gun back in August and set it up with a Vortex 4x16x50 scope. My intentions are more hunting than competition long range. So far I have shot both the factory Hornady ammo with the 140 grain ELD bullet and the 143 ELDX bullet. So far with nothing more than some break in cleaning between shots and not messing with anything else this gun shoots both factory ammo in about a 3/4 inch group at 100. I had been wanting the Ruger Precison Rifle until I picked one up and was surprised by the weight of it. Again wanting a hunting gun I didn't want to lug a 12+ pound rifle around. I read and saw allot about this Ruger American Predator and how well the 6.5 Creedmor was in it. I decided what the heck and plucked down my $400 for the rifle and my complete setup is less than $1000 and I'm. totally happy. I too want to see what the 143 ELDX will do with handloads. My only difference so far is I'm starting with Hornady I probably won't get to play much with mine until spring due to other priority things the next couple months. I look forward to your reports.

#6 · (Edited)
Getting my first loads together. Norma brass, Federal 210m primer, IMR 4350 powder, Hornady ELD-X 143gr pills.

Neck tension feels pretty snug. I sized all the cases to round out the new necks. Used the .290 bushing and the expander plug that came with the Redding die. After rounding out over the expander plug outside neck diameter measured .291 with a loaded round measuring .293. Suprised the tension felt as tight as it did seating bullets. You can definitely see where the seater plug contacted the bullet. Probably will be ordering a .292 bushing for more consistent seating depth. They are within.004 of each other. Can do better.

Put next to a 308 round in second pic.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Shot my first loads today. It was a little windy but not too bad. Shot 4 rounds to sight in, then these 4 groups. These are the first rounds through the rifle. Shot the groups round robin. 143 ELD-X and IMR4350. Not a bad start.

Attachments

#18 ·
Did a little tinkering today. Opened up the barrel clearence on the forearm. Seemed to shoot ok to start but the free floating clearence on the left side was definitely not adequate. Just did a little filing with common files I have in the shop. Nothing special, just opened it up. Before, during, and after pics.

Attachments

#20 ·
This stock is plastic, very light, and cheap. The design is surprisingly rigid all things considered. The V blocks fit nicely into the action, and the aluminum in the blocks extend to the screw heads. The manual calls for 60 to 80 pounds of torque. I use a Wheeler torque wrench that goes up to 65 pounds. That is what I torqued the action screws to.

To build a budget rifle, cost must drastically be kept in check. The stock is where I want the cost corner cutting to be. Although this stock leaves some things to be desired, it is effective. For the price, I'm satisfied.

Attachments

#21 ·
I also adjusted the trigger from the initial factory adjustment. I used a Wheeler Trigger Pull scale to measure the pull weight. How accurate the scale is I cannot say, but it is something to go by. Initial from the factory pull weight was a little over 4 pounds. After backing the adjustment screw off three full turns I got the weight down to just over 3 pounds. I backed the screw off a 4th full turn, but it did not make the pull any lighter. So I left it at 3.

The trigger has a small amount of creep and does not take much pressure for a clean break. I'm very satisfied with the trigger.

Attachments

#25 ·
No issues that I can see so far. I've only tested a few loads at this point. Still working first firing through first lot of 50 cases. Only have a limited amount of time right now for load development. If I see annything I will post it.
Did shoot some more last weekend but didn't have time to record and post results yet. This thing called a job gets in the way.
Really liking the caliber so far.

#27 ·
These were from last Sunday. Hornady 143gr ELD-X and IMR4350. Not a bad shooting rifle at all, but not quite what I'm looking to get out of it. More work to do.

Again I shot these round robin. One thing I see that I do not like is, four close powder charges with four different average points of impact.

The one lone hole near center of target was a clean cold bore fouler.

Attachments

#29 ·
As I continue to shoot this rifle I am noticing little movement in the rear bag on my tighter groups. Usually the bag kicks to the right a little. I shot several groups yesterday paying closer attention to this. I wasn't going to post these tight groups until I was more confident I could repeat them. But just to show the potential, here are two.

I finished the first firing through all 50 cases in this lot of brass. I only rounded out the necks with the expander plug as they were new. As stated previously, the neck tension was VERY tight. Now that they have all been fired once, I will resize with a larger size neck bushing and loosen them up. I'm not yet ready to bail on these bullets and move on to something else quite yet. I really think I've been negatively affecting the group size some. These light, plastic sporter stocks are very unforgiving when trying to hold tight groups. At the end of shooting yesterday though, I think I've figured some things out. I'll learn more soon.

Attachments

#30 ·
Have worked with it a little bit more since I last posted. The 143ELD-X are averaging about an inch. Moving on to Sierra Match King 107gr. Not exactly what I wanted to try next, but they are what's available. I should soon be spending more time loading. Coyote hunting is winding down.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.