Weatherby Vanguard Youth 7mm-08 vs Howa 2n1 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Weatherby Vanguard Youth 7mm-08 vs Howa 2n1

I am researching youth rifles for my 11 yo son, who will be 12 in July and have come to these two at this point.

The Weatherby Youth supposedly comes with a "removable elongated spacer system that allows you "fit the rifle to a growing shooter." I guess you take the spacer out while younger and put back in when they grow into it.

The Howa 2n1 comes with both a youth stock and an adult stock.

I am familiar with the Weatherby name, not so much with Howa but what I'm reading on line sounds like they do some manufacturing for Weatherby.

Prices seem to be right around the same, with the Weatherby Vanguard coming in 20 to 50 lower.

So my question is does anyone on here have any experience with these two rifles and have any input that they can supply?

As I said I have done alot of internet research and I like the fact that these two will be good for all his life.

We havent held either in our hands yet so that will of course be another deciding factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 PM

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Youth 7mm-08 vs Howa 2n1

the vanguard is a howa made rifle. they are both good starter rifles that are not overly priced. have a vanguard in 30-06 and its a great rifle.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Howa makes the the weatherby vanguard. I have a howa in 223 that I use for varmints and it shoots moa. It is a decent rifle great for a kid starting out.

the thrill is not in the kill, but in the experience
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 PM

They are one in the same except for the stocks themselves. If I'm not mistaken the Howa comes with the hogue stocks both in youth and adult. The vanguard I only have in adult and is just the regular plastic stock. Both guns are manufactured in Japan. I have 14 Howas and 4 vanguards and I'm happy with all. I always change the stocks on the guns. i never keep the plastic that comes with it. As he gets older Boyds makes some really nice laminates and thumbholes. I bought my last pepper laminate for $79 for my 300 wsm.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I also just came across the fact that Browning has an X Bolt Micro Midas for youth and smaller frames which sounds very nice. I like the fact that you can unload or check the chamber without taking the safety off for a kid.

I know these are newer but wonder if anyone has any experience with them or has priced them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308 ruger
I am researching youth rifles for my 11 yo son, who will be 12 in July and have come to these two at this point.

The Weatherby Youth supposedly comes with a "removable elongated spacer system that allows you "fit the rifle to a growing shooter." I guess you take the spacer out while younger and put back in when they grow into it.

The Howa 2n1 comes with both a youth stock and an adult stock.

I am familiar with the Weatherby name, not so much with Howa but what I'm reading on line sounds like they do some manufacturing for Weatherby.

Prices seem to be right around the same, with the Weatherby Vanguard coming in 20 to 50 lower.

So my question is does anyone on here have any experience with these two rifles and have any input that they can supply?

As I said I have done alot of internet research and I like the fact that these two will be good for all his life.

We havent held either in our hands yet so that will of course be another deciding factor.
Checked out the Howa 2n1 at Reeves this afternoon. My son liked the feel of it so took the plunge and ordered one. Cant wait to see how it shoots for him. He's excited for it to come in.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM

My two older kids have Vanguard Youth Compacts in .308 Win.

These came in a black painted beechwood youth stock and with an adult-sized composite stock.

While I have not played with my boy's rifle extensively, I do know it is sub-MOA. My daughter's gun is a bona fide 1/4 MOA (not a typo) shooter for 3 shots at 100 yards!!!!!! These are incredible little guns and are worth 2 or 3 times the asking price based on accuracy alone.

Nicht ihr höschen in einem knoten erhalten.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 PM

308 you should be happy with the gun. As your son grows there are a ton of different stocks for that rifle. I usually get the barreled action and go hunting for a stock. Laminates make these howas outstanding!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page