late fliers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

late fliers

Just had the dog out(11:00pm) and I could hear a flock of geese flying. Heading north already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:45 PM

Re: late fliers

Oh yeh! I noticed Canada Geese pairing up 3 weeks ago in my hunting area 5B. Things are about 4 weeks ahead of schedule this year. Migration never really happened full bore and what did migrate are headed back north. One unusal year this year.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM

I have seen more birds in the last week than I did in the whole season. The duck numbers I am seeing right now are unbelievable!

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM

im the most stressed when they migrate back because the numbers of birds paired up are incredable, especially with a poor duck season and now they are everywhere
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:13 PM

been seeing lots of them the past two weeks, I keep forgeting its still febuary, almost like winter didnt even happen compaired to last year.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM

I spent the last two weeks of the residential goose season picking off pairs on the local ponds. When they start pairing up and staking out their breeding spots before the season ends, it makes for some fun hunts in our area. The best part of those two weeks was discovering a flock of pintails using one of my spots. Started with 9, and by late last week was up to 18. They spent all morning on the pond and provided good entertainment while I was waiting on geese. I've only seen pintails in our area twice before and then it was 1 and 2 of them. If only I could see them in the fall. It is incredibly frustrating at how hard I have to hunt in the fall to find any ducks, yet in the spring the ponds and lakes around here look like the pictures in D.U.'s magazine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Had a large flock (30-40 birds) fly over the house Sunday evening already. Headed to north and not wasting anytime getting there. An unusual year indeed.

If it ain't dead, it ain't happy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM

i watched 400-600 birds land in a field i can hunt a quarter mile from my house Monday evening. talk about a kick in the pills

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page