Waterfowl Migration Update - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Waterfowl Migration Update

Stopped by the Visitors Center at MC today. Lauren estimates 15,000 to 20,000 Snows and about 2500 Swans.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Lauren made her 1st post on the snow goose numbers today. It's a whopper of an estimate!

"Waterfowl Migration Update
ADVISORY: Please note that these numbers are estimates and subject to rapid and dramatic change.
These updates are submitted by Lauren Fenstermacher, Middle Creek manager.

Migration Update (2/1/2017): Numbers on the first day of February numbered around 15,000 snow geese including 2,000 tundra swans. However, as the day went on, more and more snow geese continued to dump into Middle Creek pushing the numbers higher and higher (by noon, the numbers were around 50,000). This is a perfect example how their numbers are so difficult to track. They fluctuate easily especially during a mild winter when the lake is mostly unfrozen and the fields are snow free. Please note that we will update this page as often as possible but numbers can change within minutes or hours of the last update. Thank you for your patience and we hope that you come to Middle Creek to enjoy the magnificent snow goose migration.

Migration Update

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
The Man

70,000 Snows

They're ba-ack! Snow geese return to Middle Creek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hope this isn't the peak! I'm booked to hunt snows near there on March 7th. Hope there will still be good numbers there then .
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:44 PM

You'll be ok March 7th Jared. There are still a lot of birds yet to come. Remember there's a million birds in the flyway. They'll be coming and going for quite a while yet. This weekend will be a little interesting with the high 50s and low 60s but then it drops back down into the low 40s and 30s after that. With any luck the central PA hunters will finally get that long month plus period that hasn't happened in a while. Every year it seems like they show at MC and then are gone 2 weeks later. I'm not an expert over there but if I'm not mistaken showing up around V day and staying for a month is more of the historical norm then the past 5 years has been. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. Such an interesting bird in the fact that there is literally nothing to be learned about their migration habits. They come when want and go when they want. a foot of snow up in NY....does not matter....If they wanna go they'll go ice roost and eat snow flakes. They don't care about anything lol.

Last edited by Trout 2003; 02-16-2017 at 02:53 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Part of the Community

this birds will be gone as quick as they got here, its gunna be like last year a freeway from eastern shore to canada
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
The Man

You are so right snowgooseking. After this weekend of warm weather the snow goose numbers will drop at MC.

On a side note snowgooseking, whens the last time you saw a "Wild Pheasant" inside MC?
snowgooseking likes this.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Part of the Community

couldn't tell ya its closed off to hunting where they do hang, the few times I was picked for a no show draw at the blinds I always heard one cackle but the fact they stock on the west side I couldn't tell ya
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
You are so right snowgooseking. After this weekend of warm weather the snow goose numbers will drop at MC.

On a side note snowgooseking, whens the last time you saw a "Wild Pheasant" inside MC?
I do think they should allow pheasants hunts in there though when theyre not running it for waterfowl
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Migration Update (2/17/2017): Cold weather that freezes parts of our lake means less birds. The count this morning was approximately 50,000 snow geese and 2,500 tundra swans. Warm weather this weekend will most likely bring the numbers back for a time before they venture north.

Just a helpful hint for folks that are looking to make the drive: If you have the availability, come see Middle Creek during the week. You can avoid the large crowds but still enjoy the views that the waterfowl migrations bring. Many of you have asked about the tour road being opened early or when will it open. The tour road will open on March 1st as in previous years. This is a sensitive time of year for many species of wildlife in addition to our roosting waterfowl so the road will remained closed until March 1st. If you come to visit us, please respect the wildlife and pay special attention to the signs that mark our controlled and propagation areas. These areas are closed to the public for the safety of our visitors and also our wildlife. Drones are not permitted at Middle Creek.

We hope you can stop by soon to enjoy the awesome views the snow geese and other wildlife provide.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page