Airguns for crows? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Airguns for crows?

Is it legal to take crows with a pellet rifle in PA. Cant find any info on it. These things are everywhere!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Re: Airguns for crows?

No.

Life is short, Eat dessert first!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

nevermind. i just read something on it. Cant hunt anything with airguns.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt9589
Cant hunt anything with airguns.
Not logical. but true in PA.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Read it in the paper yesterday, and all over the news also. There is some kind of Crow scourge happening in California, Pa.. Cal U has used laser lights to try and move them on. They are dropping their "stuff" all over cars and people. I guess there are 10's of thousand's of them coming in to roost there. I wonder what the draw is ? Some kind of food in the area they like ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Nothing new there, Crow roosts in populated areas ave been a problem in PA for years. Back in the 60s and 70s there was an annual crow shoot at the Ontelaunee watershed in Reading. It was a huge event and hunters came from all over including other states to participate. They hauled the dead crows away with dump trucks. Reason, they were contaminating the reservoir with droppings in the run off. In the late 70s and 80s, Lititz there was an invitational crow shoot held in the Boro annually because of the mess from crow droppings. Most recently in Lancaster Co. the UDSA poisoned crows as part of program to get rid of crows that were roosting on the roofs of stores and in the trees at Park City shopping center. People were getting straffed with droppings as they walked from their vehicles to the stores and the parking lots and vehicles were coverd with droppings. They now are moving the birds to other areas to roost with bright lights which attracts the crows. Same old stuff, different state.

Life is short, Eat dessert first!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM

On Sunday I was driving east on 202 near Longwood Gardens and a flock of crows, the size of which was bigger than any I have ever seen before, was flying over route 202. The flock was so big that my daughter even remarked on the number of birds.

Nobody gets off the rock.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Back around 1966, the crows at Lake Ontalaunee near the Leesport PGC office were so thick in the winter that when you drove through it was like a black cloud rose up over the road. I went to one of those february Crow shoots there. And John is right, hunters hauled crows out of the pines in bushel baskets and there were truly dump trucks full of crows. I think I went through three boxes of shells in a space of 90 minutes. I was a lousy shot as a teenager, only got a couple dozen.

Every late winter crows congregate around Capital Plaza in Hyattsville Maryland, not thousands, tens of thousands.

When I lived in Virginia, I shot a few crows with a crosman pellet pistol. The darn things went after my wife's cat. They would land in the poplar in the back yard, and pfffft.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 PM

I had a crow in my back yard today. Coincidence? I think not. Probably an advanced scout. I wrote Stogie's map coordinates on a piece of paper and the crow picked it up and flew off.

Nobody gets off the rock.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM

When I hear about anything being poisoned, I cringe. Nothing, nowhere, deserves death by such a crude means, let along one that is administered by a government agency
(the UDSA). I know the legal answer to this question; why do we protect crows with specific hunting seasons? The logical answer begs for change. Crows are nothing but crop eating, killing scavangers that spread disease and grief. We need to control them. There are many crow hunters willing to knock those numbers down and take control of them. Why not turn them loose by eliminating those seasons and air gun restrictions?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page