Big game caliber restrictions - Page 30 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

151Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:37 AM

The claim of people using FMJ or "Wrong" bullets for deer hunting is laughable. Anyone can spend 5 minutes online and/or make a few phone calls to the manufacturers and get the information they need to determine what bullets are legal and suitable for deer hunting.

Good luck, Tony
bohunr and nomad_archer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 01:35 PM
WOL

FMJ bullets are illegal for big game hunting. Just as lead shot is illegal for waterfowl hunting. I think people are pretty compliant with the steel or non-lead shot. I think the same results would be realized for semis.

I mean, dove/quail/trap loads for a 12ga are the cheapest. Around $5 a box. But I never hear about anyone hunting goose or turkey with low brass #8 shot.

I don't know if the move away from lead shot happened seamlessly. Maybe some guys resisted at first? I really don't know. You could always have fines for carrying FMJs whlie deer hunting and have WCO check ammo.
post #293 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Does any person on this site think we need more regulations?If you do why do questions constantly pop up about ones we already have and quite a few people can't understand or agree on the interpretation of said regulations?No wonder there is a lawyer for every 700 people in the USA.Not one person on here would be willing to take a shot from any firearm ever made.I don't care if it's rimfire,centerfire,flintlock,rolling block or pinfire.It will kill you with a properly placed shot.My dad killed hogs on the farm with a 22 revolver.
tdd likes this.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #294 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM

You dad stunned hogs with a 22 revolver, so they could be cut and bled while the heart was still beating too pump the blood out.

The laws in Pennsylvania and most regulations are written according to a certain "style", usually by the Legislative reference bureau in Harrisburg. The big problem is having people who have no idea what the rule/law is about trying to word the language of it. The above referenced, heretofore's, except as stated below, etc are the ridiculous result of the way out state passes laws. Act no 18, of 1985, amends the following sections of Act 134 of 1944 and Act 56 of 1923. Instead of having a straightforward statute. that fits into a set title and chapter. When i was in grad school, the statutes of Wyoming, were set forth in a three volume set of loose leaf notebooks. When a law was changed the old page(s) were pulled out and the new put in. No need to go back to some 1923 law to see what was being changed. We do now have "Consolidated statutes" that are supposed to be slowing doing away with the old session law system. But the legislature is slow about it and when it does, it over looks situations that often go uncorrected for decades. That is why we have an aeronautical trespass law, a criminal trespass law, an ATV trespass law, a Game trespass law, a motor vehicle trespass law and one or two other trespass laws I can't recall off hand. The 1972 Crimes Code, left out certain common law defenses for self protection that existed for centuries under English law. For instance, the use of lethal force by a victim to discourage or prevent a robbery. Under common law, if approached by two menacing thugs, who demand your wallet, you had a right to beat them off with a cane, shoot them with a gun. Not under today's law, unless they threaten the victim with a imminent lethal harm.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #295 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM
WOL

Quote:
defenses for self protection that existed for centuries under English law. For instance, the use of lethal force by a victim to discourage or prevent a robbery. Under common law, if approached by two menacing thugs, who demand your wallet, you had a right to beat them off with a cane, shoot them with a gun.
Would the cane fall under primitive weapon and would it effect the current archery season?
nomad_archer likes this.
post #296 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:33 PM
The Man

not to go off topic here but about 25 years ago i once asked the DA here in Erie the same thing in Zimmerstutzens post above "if approached by two menacing thugs, who demand your wallet, you had a right to beat them off with a cane, shoot them with a gun."

the DA's answer at that time was if two guys approach you and demand your money, you pull your gun (if licensed) and tell them you want no trouble and back away. if they continue to approach and demand your money you only have one option at that point, and that is to use the gun because they really mean to do you some harm even if they are not showing a weapon, you can not let them take yours.

he also said he would not be pressing charges against the intended victim in a case like this. i liked him. (as a DA )

and if i had my AR an someone broke into my home, i wouldn't worry about what caliber it was i would probably say "Oh Dear, call 911"

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #297 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercreep View Post
I'm all for a 6mm minimum if AR's are allowed.
So the 25-20, 32-20, 30 carbine would be legal but a 22-250 with much more energy is not legal?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #298 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 AM
WOL

Quote:
So the 25-20, 32-20, 30 carbine would be legal but a 22-250 with much more energy is not legal?
I don't think we would see a big run of folks rushing out to buy these chamberings.
post #299 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebco View Post
I meant to say we need a 6mm minimum for Bear, not Deer.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #300 of 300 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'll make post #300. The .222 kills just like a 30-06 with proper bullets. It's cut and dry. It's a fact and that's the end of discussion.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page