Are food plots "baiting" - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 PM

Re: Are food plots "baiting"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
Yep, it's a moot point. But it never stops them what can't have a food plot, from chiming in that they consider them to be baiting.

Wondering how long it'll take 'em to find this one and "contribute"?

I have food plots and I consider them baiting. They are there to entice deer to my property to be harvested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM

Ding!!!

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM

You knew it was comming. However, it doesn't much matter who thinks it is baiting, the law does not, that is what counts.

Life is short, Eat dessert first!
post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Pretty much my thoughts.

And I am guessing that everyone is taking them as forestry practices or agricultural projects. For anything to be agricultural in PA you better have a tax form showing your involved in it, thats their definition for trucks/atvs.

I believe that this is as clear cut as the definition of "disorderly conduct" - its meant to be vague for enforcement.
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

You missed the part about wildlife management programs.

Life is short, Eat dessert first!
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:06 PM

IMO we have legal and illegal baiting in PA. I have food plots and hunt them all the time in archery season. I'm using a food source to entice game to an area that gives me a chance to harvest it. The law says it is legal therefore I accept it as a ethical way to hunt. I also use legal scents to entice deer to follow a trail that they may not have otherwise used to my area for a chance to harvest. Therefore imo ethical hunting as it is legal. I do not dump corn or apples or any of that store bought stuff as it is illegal and therefore not ethical. If you go put up a treestand in the middle of a patch of oak and use the acorns to entice game that is legal. I feel that we just have to accept the fact that there is legal and illegal baiting in the state . I'm going to support what is legal and follow the law. If you look up bait in the dictionary it uses the words lure and entice. Look up lure and it uses the words bait and entice. Look up entice and it says lure and bait.
Call it whatever you want but the bottom line is legal and illegal and that is all you need to know.
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytxcutter
They are baiting but are currently legal.
That about sums it up.
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Do you guys consider hunting in a apple orchard baiting?

Winner of the pillow fight championship.Featherweight division
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM

That would fall under what I referred to as natural and legal bait. As long as you leave the apples as they fall the apples can be used to lure the deer close to you for a harvest No different than the bulbs on the turnips. Many people plant apple trees to improve their hunting. It does take longer than a field of corn or turnips or clover, but then again once planted it only takes time and doesn't need to be replanted.I think "bait" is looked on as a dirty word because it is always used when referring to illegal activities. I just see the difference between the legal type and illegal
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeard lou
IMO we have legal and illegal baiting in PA. I have food plots and hunt them all the time in archery season. I'm using a food source to entice game to an area that gives me a chance to harvest it. The law says it is legal therefore I accept it as a ethical way to hunt. I also use legal scents to entice deer to follow a trail that they may not have otherwise used to my area for a chance to harvest. Therefore imo ethical hunting as it is legal. I do not dump corn or apples or any of that store bought stuff as it is illegal and therefore not ethical. If you go put up a treestand in the middle of a patch of oak and use the acorns to entice game that is legal. I feel that we just have to accept the fact that there is legal and illegal baiting in the state . I'm going to support what is legal and follow the law. If you look up bait in the dictionary it uses the words lure and entice. Look up lure and it uses the words bait and entice. Look up entice and it says lure and bait.
Call it whatever you want but the bottom line is legal and illegal and that is all you need to know.
I disagree on the thought that if its legal its ethical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page