Running Pole Set - Legality Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Running Pole Set - Legality Question

I understand the reason for not allowing coni's outside of water courses....peoples dogs, non-target animals....however, i dont understand fully why we cant use running pole sets for fisher. I dont know of many hunting dogs that climb trees. Of course we would have to abide by the exposed bait (from the sky) law and such but I just dont get why we cant use these sets in PA. Can someone give an explanation. Just curious. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Re: Running Pole Set - Legality Question

Not sure....i bet it'd even work for coon? Biggest problem i see wohld be guys running a bunch and nailing a couple the same night....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM

How about a cage or box wired to a tree 4 or 5 feet above the ground with the opening pointing down. I believe this is something the PTA is working on now. If there are any trappers out there that are not members of thr Pa Trappers Association you should be. These people do a lot of work for the rest of us.

1A-2F
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 AM

how often u catch anything in a coni and it was alive when u got there....... with few areas that allow fisher trapping u still can only keep one of them. just my opinion.. they kill what u catch
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 AM

I've asked this question before and have not gotten a straight answer. Can you make a running pole set in the middle of a shallow stream? It's in a water course, right?

The horizon is your starting point.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 AM

On the fisher harvest survey i got it asked what kind of traps i used.....one of the options was body gripping traps.....i would say if you follow the body grip regulations your fine....but running pole, i dont know...its likely to end up above and outside the water course..

With only being allowed 1 per season i dont worry about setting body grippers.....another good set for them and even bobcats are cubbies with body grippers guarding the only entrance....but i would set them either..and you could make em legal just like the coon sets but baited and lured different....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver boy
How about a cage or box wired to a tree 4 or 5 feet above the ground with the opening pointing down. I believe this is something the PTA is working on now.
why would they have to work on that?

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM

I think he means: the pta is working on getting an elevated coni box approved/passed. I may be wrong.

I'll keep my money, guns, ammo, and health care; you can keep your change
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:01 AM

ok i thought he meant working on an elevated box trap. nothing illegal about that. but elevated conni's would be cool.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 AM

I don't see why they dont make coni's legal in a tree, as long as they are at a certain height..................there is a company that advertises in FFG, that makes a cone out of galvanized metal that you nail to a tree. It sits on the tree vertically, and then you put your bait in the top of the cone, and then fasten a conibear in the opening........they are marketed to Marten trappers, but something like that would be a killer Fisher set..........

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page