favorite PA land trap - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Re: favorite PA land trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
My preference is probably useless to you but I'm going to throw it out there anyhow.

I've always loved the 1.75 Northhwoods and consider it the best all-around Pa. trap. Like you I like the square jaw. It's a big trap for a 1.75, all but 5 1/4" outside to outside and it is identical in design to the Bridger traps.

Way back they were the premier fox trap around here. When my daughter got me back into trapping 7-8 years ago I still had some and still had a fondness for them.

I kept my old ones and, over the years, bought a bunch more.

I actually found a place with OEM Northwoods parts and put new springs on all my old traps and every used one I buy. I keep the square link chain attachment on the frame (same set up as Bridger) or put it back on if it's missing. I run a swivel at the frame, mid-chain and stake end, I replace the ring with a flat stake swivel.

One last thing I do is put the little shock springs back on. I know they are not very effective and don't do much...but it's a nostalgia thing...

I do run # 2 Bridgers when I'm targeting yotes up north but I've often considered (and still do) selling them off an standardizing with all NW 1.75's.

There ya have it...
i agree with lugnut. here is one i found at my old buyers place. brand new dozen still in a box. i rusted them up a little and boiled and dyed for this year.this is a round jaw northwoods 1.75. caught a 26lb cat with it and several yotes.no need for a bigger trap.works for anything in pennsylvania!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM

In my opinion people are getting out of control with all of the mods that they do to traps, and the amount of money that these modified traps cost........I dont think that it is at all necessary........I mean what did trappers do before people started doing all of these mods???

I have caught a few coyotes in Duke 1.5's and have held them no problem.......the only mods that I have done to any of my traps are: I center swivel all of them.......a lot of them I just drill a 1/4" hole right through the X of the trap frame and install a J hook.......some of them do have center locators, and even a few baseplates....but anything more than a hole with the J hook is basically unnecessary as far as I am concerned......the only other thing that I do is bend the jaw tips up, or bubble weld them.......I mostly run Duke 1.5's for my fox sets, and if it is in an area with a high probability of a coyote catch I will go up to a Duke #2

I am sure that those 17 dollar a piece traps are nice, but I can't see spending that when you can get 3 or more traps for the same price.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM

I've used a lot of different traps over the years. I'm in the process of switching to all MB550's. In my opinion there the toughest thing going.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 11:36 PM

I'm new to the game but I've caught coyote, fox, raccoon and fisher in my MB550's this season.

Never Misses
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM

i've run bmi 1 1/2's for years.started to switch over to mb450's this year.great trap.i guess i like the smaller jaw spread traps,i don't care if i ever catch another yote!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the input guys!! all great points ive tossed around a TON...

are those beefed up big traps REALLY needed?

are those expensive traps better than say a Duke??

smaller traps are lighter..can carry more...cheaper..can buy more..can set more..could increase catches...

id say i dont care to ever catch another coyote...but if i dont, i wont be catchin much of nothin! id LOVE to have the "fox problem" out east...all them pretty fox plugging up perfectly good coyote sets! lol easier to skin...easier to put up...typically worth more...not rough on gear...

hope the fox come back soon! might be wishful thinking!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM

how many coyotes do you really catch? i think you are fantasizing about all these coyotes you catch. from your own words you have caught a few coyotes a year for what? a year or two.come on. i've been at this game for 30 some years. some years i'll catch a dozen or so others only a few.if you think you need to buy the biggest, baddest trap for a few yotes a year go right ahead.chances are you will still catch only the few you are getting now.with major leg damage to all the "incidental" coons,possum, and fox that find your trap first.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM

i know i look at the fur population like a pyramid.a few coyote at the top,a larger population of fox on the next tier,a even larger population of coon come next.i like the odds on the bottom,more critters! even with fox lure i get a lot of coon in the dirt hole sets.coyotes are around here, but not a big concentration of them.i've held them with my 1 1/2's,put a good centering pad catch on them and a good anchoring system,you can hold them.but think of all the other critters youmiss looking for a fe coyotes!

life member pa trappers
distric 1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM

And coyotes smell
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
In my opinion people are getting out of control with all of the mods that they do to traps, and the amount of money that these modified traps cost........I dont think that it is at all necessary........I mean what did trappers do before people started doing all of these mods???

I have caught a few coyotes in Duke 1.5's and have held them no problem.......the only mods that I have done to any of my traps are: I center swivel all of them.......a lot of them I just drill a 1/4" hole right through the X of the trap frame and install a J hook.......some of them do have center locators, and even a few baseplates....but anything more than a hole with the J hook is basically unnecessary as far as I am concerned......the only other thing that I do is bend the jaw tips up, or bubble weld them.......I mostly run Duke 1.5's for my fox sets, and if it is in an area with a high probability of a coyote catch I will go up to a Duke #2

I am sure that those 17 dollar a piece traps are nice, but I can't see spending that when you can get 3 or more traps for the same price.....

i agree 101% every foot hold on our line is a lightly mod'ed #2 duke , 1 extra mid swivel and night latched.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page