trapping coon in the snow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

trapping coon in the snow?

I have been trapping a few years now and always pull my sets for rifle season. They have never found there way back out though after. how do you handle snow when trapping coons? how do you make your sets so the traps don't freeze? I really don't want to have to get into messing around with antifreezes if there is another option. any help is appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:59 PM

Re: trapping coon in the snow?

i get dry dirt before season like in the summer put it in clean buckets then its dry and ready to use or go to landscape companys they miight give you a bucket or to for free

srwa its a great group
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:24 AM

Are you making dirt holes only for coon?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

i have a 5 gallon bucket full of dried dirt but won't the dirt just draw water from the snow and freeze the trap? I will make any kind of set recommended and yes for the most part I am targeting coon. i have tried trapping fox but it seems to take a ton of effort that i am losing allot of time making fox sets that i catch nothing in that i could have set many coon sets that would have caught something. trapping coon just seams to be easier
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 AM

Trapping in the snow/cold weather, takes more effort regardless what animal you are targeting on dry ground. Five gallons of dry dirt will not go very far. You can get peat moss and mix it with your dirt 50/50 or just use straight peat, peat will to an extent repel water. I could go on and on about different conditions of winter trapping on the ground, but weather or not it applies to your intent. Trap coon by water you still have to work with skim or shelf ice, but you don't have to worry about your trap freezing to the stream or creek bottom. Make 160 bucket or cubby sets no worries here. Just make sure they are in a water way. ( Yeah I opened it up guys ) Hope I helped in some way. If you need more details don't hesitate to ask just be as specific as possible..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:28 PM

The coon do not run much if the snow is flying and its very cold. But they do run a little. More so if you get a night with no snow fall and temps climb up into the thirty's.
I use cubbies this time of year for coon. Ill be setting again this Sunday when the last deer rifle gets put up.
Wont kid you, I do not catch many at all unless we get a warm spell. pretty much look to rats and wait for beaver to open.

Nothing wrong with quiet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

buckwheat hulls under and above the trap, sift a little bit of snow over top to camo it in OR wax dirt... you can buy it or make it.your other option is to get a spray bottle of RV antifreeze, strait up dont mix it. spray under trap, cover dry dirt, spray again then cover. as a trap base you can also use crumpled up wax paper.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page