Archery Hunting in the RAIN? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Re: Archery Hunting in the RAIN?

If it's raining hard enough for my clothes to get wet, I don't do archery. My colorblindness makes it hard enough to follow a blood trail, I don't need to be racing against it washing away. Sure, the deer SHOULD be laying dead within 100 yards, but even the best of us have a bad shot once in a while, some deer are apparently on pcp and don't know they're dead yet, and who knows what else can happen out there. Not worth the risk, in my mind, plus it's miserable

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhippie
If it's raining hard enough for my clothes to get wet, I don't do archery. My colorblindness makes it hard enough to follow a blood trail, I don't need to be racing against it washing away. Sure, the deer SHOULD be laying dead within 100 yards, but even the best of us have a bad shot once in a while, some deer are apparently on pcp and don't know they're dead yet, and who knows what else can happen out there. Not worth the risk, in my mind, plus it's miserable
Agreed. It always sounds like a good idea until you hit one not where intended, it runs off, the blood washes away, and you are left with nothing but crow bait laying out there somewhere.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM

You gotta make a good shot in the rain, no question. Still hunting has worked for me in the rain multiple times.

FIST FULL OF THROTTLE AND A TRUCK FULL OF BUCK
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 10:34 PM

I had the best day of my season in the pouring rain yesterday. I hunted till 10:30am from my stand with no action so I got down and moved about 1/2 mile up the hollow to a clearcut area. Decided to still hunt the rest of the day till 4pm when I had to leave to watch the kids. Too make a long story short I saw 6 differnt bucks 3 legal but couldn't seal the deal. 5 of the 6 where running does and it all happend from 11am to 2:30pm. Early in the season if it's raining hard I'll usally skip the day but this time of the year it's go time. All the bucks where 20 yrds and closer the one I wanted just never step in a clear lane to take a shot.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM

A tree umbrella is the key to all day sits in the rain during the rut. I wear rain pants to keep lower legs dry while sitting and hang bow and gear under umbrella.

The older I get the better I was.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:05 AM

I have to be pretty desperate to bow hunt in the rain.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page