Loading power belts? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Loading power belts?

So, I have 2 packages of 295 gr aerotip copper series power belts and am gonna use them in my 50 cal lyman deerstalker. If I understand this right, I just pour the powder down the barrel and ram the powerbelt down like any other...minus the lubed patch. Is this correct?

Do power belts require 777 pellets? All I have is 3F Goex. Will this be a problem? The only muzzle loading shop we had near me has gone out of business, so it's hard to self teach.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Re: Loading power belts?

i use the powerbelts with 2 50gr pyrodex with excellent results. i have a t/c firestorm and i put just a pinch of 4F down the bore first and then the 2 pellets and then the powerbelt. if i can resist the flinch i get 2" or better groups at 50 yards.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM

I use the powerbelts with 80 gr of 2f in my flintlock and haven't had a problem. Just gotta find the right charge for it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM

You can use the 3Goex powder... Be sure when driving the powerbelt down the barrel you have some tightness and be sure it is seated completely on top of the powder charge..Some bullets can slide out the end of the barrel when you point it toward the ground..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:40 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Be careful of trying the 777 pellets in a flinter. Ignition may be slow or not at all.

I shoot the same bullets (different weight 245) from my Lyman GPR and my son from his Deerstalker. We load a little differently from most people though. 5gr. 3f BP, 90gr. 2f 777. 4 f in the pan.

Loose BP will be just fine. Loose 777 works too but we found that there was some delay so we added the 5gr. 3f BP kicker to eliminate that.

I've never had one load loose and I can push them down the barrel with a finger on the ramrod. BUT......I swab after every shot (wet, dry, lube). We also use a knurled jag ( cleaning patch jag) on the end of our ramrods with a hollowed out end on the jag. The bullet point does not get smashed or touched when loading. They (of course) sell a loading kit for the numerous PB configurations but I'm too cheap to buy them. LOL!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM

i put a dab of bore butter on my finger and roll the edge of the powerbelt to help it go down the bore smoother. never done it without that so not sure how tough they are to put down unlubed.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Ok, two things and I'm not trying to flame anybody here but 1: if you're having slow fires or hang fires with 777, why not change to say a true BP substitute or just BP to begin with? Shockey's Gold is so much better suited to flinters if you're gonna use a substitute. 2: Why on earth would you want to lubricate a bullet desiged to already be easy...very easy to load in the first place? Lubricating the bullet makes it that much easier for it to move off the podwer charge, creating a danerous air space, risking damage to the rifle at best, and the shooter at worst. The ring base of the bullet is designed to be self-lubricating already.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:45 PM

i will double check but i want to say that is on the inst if you are having some difficulty getting your powerbelt down the barrel. i havent had any issues and i still tamp down my powerbelt against the charge.its a very very thin coating I am putting on it...that is not on the bullet...just the base of the powerbelt.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I like the ease of cleaning with 777 as opposed to BP. As for trying another substitute it's kinda simple.....I like 777 and over a couple years bought 8 lbs at Wal Mart on clearance. I have 3 lbs left and can't see letting it go to waste. Also, after working up a load for the gun and taking numerous deer, a hog, a bear and groundhog with shots from 8yds to 139 yds. I'm just a little hesitant about trying something new. This may jinx me but....I don't have miss fires, hang fires or even a noticeable delay.

If it works don't fix it!! BUT what works for some may not be acceptable or even work at all for others!

BTW: no flamers here!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure I didnt explode my gun by using black powder when I shoulda been using pellets or whatever the newer type powders are...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page