IN line question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

IN line question

I used pellets for my in line and am getting 4-6" groups at 200 yds. But have been told by many including "pros" and manufacturer's reps in Harrisburg that I would likely do better with powder. Anyone find this to be true?

Freedom is NOT free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:38 AM

Yes. Because you can regulate or pick how much powder goes down the barrel and shoot till you find what it likes.
Pellets are either 1 or 2 or 3 and hope it is accurate?
Maybe i am crazy but we use plain old Black powder in ours and it does everything i want it to do! We don't try 200 yards shoots though !!!!!!

WILLY P
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

What brand is the gun? I shoot knights and they love loose powder, and I take them to the 200 and 250 yard mark with a average 2in to 2.5 in group at them ranges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:51 PM
New Arrival

jonny v

I have a cheap cva hunter bolt in 45 cal. It shoot loose 777 { 110 gr ) powder with power belt bullets and it shoots 1" groups all day long. I tried the pellet route but 2 pellets didnt group very well and neither did 3 pellets, so I went to loose and I am satisfied. Loose powder lets you work up a load gradually as opposed to putting in 2 or 3 pellets and having to settle with what you get.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

That CVA hunter is a under rated gun I know a few guys that have them and they shoot great. If u can try the xtp 180 or 200 grain bullet with the green harvester cup wit that 777, that's my combo for the 50. My 52 is a 250 gr Barnes l copper with 140 grains of 777 that 52 just smokes them big late season bucks ( out of state that is)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:59 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1969 View Post
What brand is the gun? I shoot knights and they love loose powder, and I take them to the 200 and 250 yard mark with a average 2in to 2.5 in group at them ranges
i just purchased a knight mk-85, i had some 777 pellets i was gonna use. you think i should try loose powder? im also converting it over from musket caps to 209 soon.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbuilds View Post
i just purchased a knight mk-85, i had some 777 pellets i was gonna use. you think i should try loose powder? im also converting it over from musket caps to 209 soon.
All you can do is try. It will come down to what the gun likes and you prefer to work with. I shot pellets out of my TC Omega and clover leafed at 100 yards. Never thought to try loose powder.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Bottom line up front: fine powder charge adjustments can make a big difference, so go get some loose powder/a volumetric powder measure and start trying 3-shot groups @ 50 yards. Start at 100 gr. and increase in 5-grain increments of power at a time until you get the best group that your gun will shoot. Then zero the gun for that charge. Odds are good that you'll never go back to the pellets once you try some more discrete powder charges.

In the majority of cases, I have found loose powder will outshoot pellets, purely due to the ability to fine tune it. With pellets, you may just get lucky and have 2 or 3 pellets shoot well from your gun, but it's certainly not guaranteed. If you're only getting 4" - 6" groups @ 200 yards right now, it's far more likely that an "in-between" load of, say, 115 gr. of loose powder will shoot best from your gun, hence why loose powder has the potential to make a given weapon shoot a lot more accurately.

For example, I use Blackhorn 209 loose powder in my T/C Omega. The difference between 100 gr. of powder and trying to up it to 110 gr. with the bullet I use is the difference between one ragged hole at 50 yards and a 2" group at the same distance. Push it up to 120 gr. and it cycles back to shooting one ragged hole. It goes without saying that those seemingly small changes in powder charge can have a very notable impact on accuracy, regardless of which powder you chose.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 02-17-2017 at 12:08 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Part of the Community

Agreed on the Blackhorn 209 - my Encore will normally stuff 3 in a snuff can at 200 yards as long as I do my part. Triple 7 and Pyrodex pellets did alright but nowhere near as good as Blackhorn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page