post #61 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:29 AM

Re: Snowshoe Hare to be protected?

Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 AM

Baldy,
You are so funny, I really enjoy all your little jokes. We should hare hunt together next year.
post #63 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Nice bunch of pups there Mease! You guys hit it on the head! Habitat. I love reading through old PA Game News articles and I found a story by R.A Anthony called 1910 My first hunting season. So this bieng 102 years old now, all they hunted was snowshoe and cottontail. Penns woods was nothing but thick brush cover and he talked about tons of snowshoe, cottontail and grouse but deer was very rare at that time. So, if we would like to see the small game hunting just like that in the days of yore, we need to clearcut the entire state and expand doe season to a month because there are still too many deer. (that ought to start a riot)LOL!

The horizon is your starting point.
post #64 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 AM

baldy, you got to pm me with your name seein' how you know who I am. espeically seein' how you knew I was at Brian's. And you don't have to worry as I would never tell JohnPa who you were. (Hare are safe with me anyway as I can't hit the broad side of a barn door anymore).
post #65 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog
I totally agree that they turn white to be less visible and that they are less visible in snow. No question about that. I just think that some guys make it seem like they are in flashing neon when there is little snow. I'm just guessing, but I bet it is not all that dramatic an advantage for land based predators.
maybe your right but think of it this way.... is it easier for you to see them to shoot on bare ground or snow? but if the cover is good enough it wouldn't matter if they did glow neon. i'm just saying everyone has some valid points here lack of snow, preds, habitat, and hunting pressure. there is only one of those that we can really impact and that is the hunting. i'm sure guys like you find spots where taking a few hare does't hurt a thing. not everyone does. i'd just like to see it closed for a few years and see what happens. if the population stays the same then it is what it is. if it increases then we would know it could be managed better.

joe, you don't want to know baldy. he's a punk.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #66 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 08:32 AM

DANG Hold on guys

I am out of popcorn !!!

The right dogs don't need excuses.

RIP FC/HBCH Lackawanna Maggie Mae.
You were the right dog.
post #67 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
Quote:
I totally agree that they turn white to be less visible and that they are less visible in snow. No question about that. I just think that some guys make it seem like they are in flashing neon when there is little snow. I'm just guessing, but I bet it is not all that dramatic an advantage for land based predators.
maybe your right but think of it this way.... is it easier for you to see them to shoot on bare ground or snow? but if the cover is good enough it wouldn't matter if they did glow neon. i'm just saying everyone has some valid points here lack of snow, preds, habitat, and hunting pressure. there is only one of those that we can really impact and that is the hunting. i'm sure guys like you find spots where taking a few hare does't hurt a thing. not everyone does. i'd just like to see it closed for a few years and see what happens. if the population stays the same then it is what it is. if it increases then we would know it could be managed better.

joe, you don't want to know baldy. he's a punk.

Keep it up mister.....I may just declare war on all the hare in your neck of the woods.
post #68 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kaschak
baldy, you got to pm me with your name seein' how you know who I am. espeically seein' how you knew I was at Brian's. And you don't have to worry as I would never tell JohnPa who you were. (Hare are safe with me anyway as I can't hit the broad side of a barn door anymore).
Brian is a good friend of mine. I usually hunt that area a day or so each year,but with the circus that was going on there I just avoided it.
post #69 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM

All i know for sure is that I'm heading out scouting right now.
post #70 of 218 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
All i know for sure is that I'm heading out scouting right now.
scouting? thats a novel idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page