Shotgun shells - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Shotgun shells

I don't want to start the old which shell is better debate. But I'm throwing a scope on my new Mossberg turkey rig and wanted to test several loads. I recall hearing of a sporting goods store that sells shells one at a time. So you could test several brands without having to buy a whole box to test just a few. Does anybody know of such a place near Lancaster or York?

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Re: Shotgun shells

News to me. You might try finding a buddy to share and test....or just bit the bullet like many of the rest of us. Dollars well spent...small portion in comparison to guns, chokes, gear, attire and license.

If you are only testing one I assume you will try a few more once you have a good prospect.

I would suggest if you are shooting one use a big target of 30X30" no less to determine the density at the center of the pattern whereas, a small target will not show the total pattern and if the sweet part of the pattern is not readily visual it is impossible to determine exotically how the load has performed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 PM

think of it this way, if you buy a few different boxes of shells you accomplish 2 things...
1. you know how it shoots in your gun (pattern)
2. you have turkey shells for the next few years or more (depending on misses )

The uncommon man is merely the common man thinking and dreaming of success in larger terms
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

I know... I know... just suck it up. Good idea though if somebody who owns a shop wanted to break open a bunch of boxes.... I swear somebody was doing this locally..

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Thats one heck of an idea for a website

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM

the only place that I know of was at the true value/sporting goods store in Windber Pa by Johnstown. it was a great idea and I bought many shells this way. I don't think they are operational anymore, but I haven't been up there in several years.

John Adams - "One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page