How close do you set up? - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:31 AM

Re: How close do you set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmas
I would set up on top of a ridge where it meets another ridge. They would usually roost at the bottom of the ridge. Later in the season after I set up I did have two hens that ere roosted right on top of me. They flew to the gobbler and h went silent. bit early in the season it seemed like they would come off the roost and head away from me. I am hunting at the border of the property so no way I could circle him. There was just no way I could get him to come to me. I thought maybe if I had set up 100 yds away he might come in to talk a look.
John, By the sounds of it, you might be fighting an up hill battle. I think the hens are cutting you off. If it was me, I'd try and get a little closer. Use the terrain to your adavantage, and move down to the birds level.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 AM

This is a great thread ! Very informative stuff here !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Way to many varibles to state exactly, how close you can get to set up on a gobbler....

First thing, I always want to know, is where are the hens....

Calling to a roosted gobbler more then once in close (less then 100 Yds.) is a no no from what experience has taught me....Calling may make him stay in the tree longer, waiting for that close hen to come to him...The longer, he's in the tree, the more time other hens have to come to the roosting area....Live hens with the gobbler sure puts a huge damper on being able to call them to your position...

Type of terrain plays a huge role in the set up spot..If he's roosted on a mountain side vs a flat changes my set up....How much foilage tells allot of how and where I'm going to call from....

Pressure on the birds changes the way, they react to calling. So does the time of the season and what phase of mating, they are in....

Scouting AFTER the gobblers have settled into their home ranges will be your best bet to learn the who, what, why, when, and where.....

Be patient and set up as close as the situation will allow you...As in anything, experience
& failures will teach you allot...</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If your gonna be DUMB, you gotta, be tough....</span>
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM

if you do get cut off by real hens, try and listen for a hen to call that is with the gobbler. after she calls you call and mimic her. tick her off and she might come right to you to show you whos boss and guess who will be right behind her...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page