barrel polishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

barrel polishing

Anyone do or tried it? Have you noticed any differnce? Can some one tell me how its done? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

Re: barrel polishing

Here ya go. Follow it TO THE LETTER and you should be happy with the results.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

the link doesnt work
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM

hmmm...That's really weird! It works on every other forum I've posted it on...

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 AM

just copy and paste the link, it works that way

Matthew 22:37-40
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

I will do that. Thanks
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:21 AM

Here is what Many guys use in my town. If you never seen these then your missing out they are SWEET!!!!!!!!!
http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6

My Dad Uncle and I have them. BRM (Brush Research Manufacturing) Hone stones for shotguns! We have different grit stones for the Barrel and the Forcing cone. These are super nice very slick and work great. And Yes i would definately say it tightened up our patterns and made them more uniform. You run them in a power drill with honing Oil. Its super easy and you cant mess it up. I got all 3 of us together and bought them so it didnt cost so much for just one guy to buy. They will way Outlast me!
If you live close to me i would be more then happy to do yours for ya for nothing, if you are interested.

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 AM

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Don't forget to remove your turkey choke and put a replacement choke in the barrel.....No sense in honing a tight choke.

Also clean out the threads in the barrel after your finished honing the barrel...Helps the turkey choke thread back in without a problem....</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">If your gonna be DUMB, you gotta, be tough....</span>
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWolf23
Here is what Many guys use in my town. If you never seen these then your missing out they are SWEET!!!!!!!!!
http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6

My Dad Uncle and I have them. BRM (Brush Research Manufacturing) Hone stones for shotguns! We have different grit stones for the Barrel and the Forcing cone. These are super nice very slick and work great. And Yes i would definately say it tightened up our patterns and made them more uniform. You run them in a power drill with honing Oil. Its super easy and you cant mess it up. I got all 3 of us together and bought them so it didnt cost so much for just one guy to buy. They will way Outlast me!
If you live close to me i would be more then happy to do yours for ya for nothing, if you are interested.
Actually, if you get into the chamber area with one you most certainly can mess it up. The reason The afore mentioned method was recommended is because literally ANYONE can do it and it takes only minute amounts of metal off the bore and is much less prone to jugging the barrel if you pause the drill like with hone stones. Yes, it takes a while, but the risk of damaging your barrel and chamber is greatly reduced with the kroils/jb bore cleaner/jb bore brite method and you get just about the exact same results without really having to worry about ruining your barrel. Hones are for more experienced folks. Not saying the op couldn't do it, but if he's never pollished a barrel before I for one surely wouldn't recommend using a hone system.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 AM

Let me fill ya in just a little bit....That post on OG is a poor mans way of doing it with unsatisfactory results. The Scotch-Brite way will just get plastic out and will lightly burnish whats there but will not remove any tool marks waves or axial ridges. Period! The hone stones remove very small amounts of material and remove voids and straighten out tool marks and axial ridges on a porous factory surface. These hone stones are made for ANY do it yourselfer. These are not reamers they are 400 and 800 grit polishing stones at best you will remove a few tenths. .0005 these are not 40grit stones that rip material out and screw up a barrel chamber or forcing cone integrity. You use these hone stones they same Exact way as the guy doing it on OG with the scotch-brite. Nothing special there.
I personally guarantee as well as the companies word you can not mess your barrel up. Even a woman could do it! its that easy. If you can shoot a shotgun you can use these stones. I'm a toolmaker/machinist by trade and know and understand shotgun barrels and Every type of Steel and any Honing stones made. and these stones hands down are the best way of doing it and getting a better pattern. the other way your just wasting your time. Unless you just want to remove plastic then go with the scotch-brite.

My offer still stands for Jk6140 I would be more then happy to do your barrel for ya, or anyone else that wants to come to my house,or you can use my stones and do it yourself. Or you can always do it the other way. its all up to him. Im just trying to give some good info on the facts of it. Good topic and good posts!

Fishing, Turkey Hunting, Shed Hunting, Archery Hunting yep that's it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page