The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Gobbling?

5K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  bobcat1 
#1 ·
I've been listening in the morning and evening for the past week now and haven't heard one gobble in areas I've heard them in years past. I'm just wondering if anyone else isn't hearing much yet either.

#34 ·
OH Monday. Hung out a couple sets of turkey como and sprayed them down for ticks, the shotgun is patterned, new batteries in the Fast Fire III, the hunting Jeep is gassed up, the decoys are in the yard straighten out the kinks. Only need to pick up my license.

Hoping the seven Jakes I called in last Spring are still there.

#36 ·
Scouted 2 different properties this morning. Total of 12 Longbeards seen. The 5 I was around on the limb were hammering, two got with a single hen and 2 hakes, and shut up. One was by himself, never made a peep, and the other two hooked up with 4 hakes and 5 hens. They gobbled steadily Until I left at 8. The other 6 were on a different property. Two with 10 hens, 3 by themselves, and one with three hens. All strutting, never made a sound. Watched them for about an hour, then went home to mow my grass for the 3rd time this year.

#38 ·
Easily one of the best I've had in a long time. Went to the property where I saw 6 yesterday at daylight this morning. Saw the three from yesterday with 7 hens, and had 5 jakes in another field with 2 hens. Also saw 2 coyotes running together. I've got a spot picked out for tomorrow for the youth hunt. I won't be there due to prior commitments, but I'll give good directions to the duo heading there ;).

#39 ·
I will be out Sunday evening to roost a bird for Ohio's opener Monday. I just changed the string and cables on what I think will be my hunting bow this year and need to shoot some broadheads this weekend. Hopefully the weather will be decent for the Pa. and Ohio youths heading out tomorrow, looks like a cool cloudy day. Ohio youths will also get Sunday to hunt and it's looking sunny for that day.

#43 ·
Been out scouting several times so far, in fact just got in from a daybreak scout. I haven't heard a peep yet. I'm beginning to wonder if any of my spots will produce this year. I did find some feathers and a spot where one was dusting itself the other night, so hopefully there's at least one around next weekend. If it gets hot like they say, that will make for an interesting morning.

#44 ·
I had a good day hunting Ohio's opener and heard a decent amount of gobbling. Called a big boss gobbler in with hens and had two hens five yards from me. Finally got the old boy within range about 25 yards and when he passed a big tree was able to get my bow drawn, but he saw some movement and took off running and putting straight away from me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.