Gimmicks that will get you killed...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Gimmicks that will get you killed......

I was paging through the Cabelas Turkey catalog I received in the mail yesterday. Came upon two items that I can't believe they would consider selling.

The first is called the Mojo something or other. Its a picture of a fanned out gobbler that attaches to your firearm. Supposedly so you can hide behind it when calling in another tom. What a stupid idea. What happens when you call in another hunter, which can and does happen. He will see a fanned out gobbler, and shoot and you're dead.....

The other is a similar idea to the first but its an umbrella like affair with an oversized picture of a fanned out gobbler on the outside. Why not just paint a target on your head!

I can't believe places like Cabelas, etc would sell such ridiculous items. Then again, you have to question the sanity of the person who buys one and intends to use it. These things go against all safety factors with regards to concealment and to avoid a direct line of fire scenario.......I seriously hope these dangerous, worthless gadgets are taken off the market faster than they were put on it.
maytom likes this.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 02-14-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:48 AM

Controversial topic for sure....one could argue that setting up 20 yards behind a gobbler or jake decoy is just as dangerous.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Today is Ghost's birthday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky View Post
Controversial topic for sure....one could argue that setting up 20 yards behind a gobbler or jake decoy is just as dangerous.
Maybe, but at least the aim point isn't you. Im waiting for the first law suit over some one shot while using one of those setups.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 AM

If that's what it takes to get a turkey, I'll pass. Gadgets like these clean up the human gene pool.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM

These really are no different than the numerous big game decoys that are out there on the market and used quite often, especially for antelope. Obviously, the user assumes some risk while using a hand held decoy if other hunters are not identifying their targets, especially on high pressure public land. I don't recall any major issues with them, though, in regards to hunting accidents.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

This is obviously a personal opinion, but not only do I believe this increases the likelihood of a hunting accident, which is obviously the foremost consideration, but I would also feel like an immense dunce attaching something like that to my firearm or running around the woods with a turkey umbrella in an effort to kill a turkey. I would need to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask myself if Spring Turkey Hunting is really an activity that I'm built for.
Trout 2003 and fall gobbler like this.

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Part of the Community

I wouldn't touch one of these things in PA with a 50' pole but I was watching Babe Winkleman on Netflix (which is finally getting hunting shows) and the guide was using one of these going after Rios I believe. I think out west if you get on a several thousand acre block of private land with good visibility where you can do a little more stalking they could come in handy.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM

I don't use decoys in season but, I do use a similar set up for preseason filming and a ton of fun. It can get you flogged, I promise. Lol

To each his own. I am indifferent to thier use. if using it as a blind I believe it to be illegal in PA.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It was fun while it lasted. I guess they made it specifically illegal this year in Pa.
This guy strutted right in to me at about 10-12 steps in an open green field two years ago. Almost killed another one, but he boogered on his way in.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:24 PM
The Man

It's not necessarily a gimmick, and it's not the "gimmick" itself that will get you killed. It's all in how/where you use it, and your ability to trust all the other people you're sharing the woods with. I don't trust many people, so they're definitely not for me. That being said, if used in the right setting, they're incredibly effective. I've got nothing against anyone that uses one. Just another tool in the bag of tricks.
Uncle Nicky and gogetter like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page