Gimmicks that will get you killed...... - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:42 AM

I have no idea what the PGC view is or thinks about the practice of reaping, is it legal or isn't in PA...do they consider it a decoy or a blind, I know even from the beginning "hunting is by calling only".... God, if that was enforced, not that it ever could, there would be a lot more gobblers alive than there are..I drive by a thousand field in multiple states every spring and see multiple decoys in use but never hear a call being made.... Does anyone know for a fact how a WCO reacts to someone using this technique ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Does "calling" have to be verbal?
One definition of "calling" is to entice another to come to you. I would think that decoying would fit the definition of calling as far as hunting is concerned.

If decoying is not "calling", then why are decoys legal to use?

If decoys are legal to use, what is the minimum distance you are required to be from them?

Everybody always says they want a gobbler right in their lap, well I'm telling you there is no better way to get yourself flopped and spurred than holding a decoy in your hand.

I can see it now......two guys are rushing around mid morning to get their 5 bird decoy spread out because they just heard one sounding off. The WCO cruising down the road sees them with decoys in hand and not calling (because how in the world are you going to hear them from the road anyway???).
I wander if they get a citation for all 5 decoys or just two???

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM

In PA blinds must be 360 and have a roof(for turkey) been that way for quite a few years now .... Tell me WHY that is not a blind ? Call it whatever you like but a blind is anything you can use to hide your movements. Legally I can't take a piece of camo and string it in front of me to shield my movements during turkey..... same principle.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17 View Post
You sat absolutely still and silent, against a large tree, in full 3D leafy suit and you were surprised a guy walking perpendicular to you at 60' didn't notice you were sitting there?

Therefor, a guy who sees a tail fan bolted to the front of my bow is more than likely NOT going to see me?

I realize your concern for safety, but your logic is a bit skewed. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.
Years ago I crawled out into a tall green grass field, laid down, got out my jake decoy on a stake and waved it back and forth to get the attention of the 11 gobblers who wouldn't leave their hens. We got them to come take a look, but my buddy couldn't get a shot. Should this be banned too??

How about sitting against a tree in full leafy gear, making sounds like a turkey when other hunters are out there hunting turkeys.......especially in the fall when those oblivious hunters are using high powered rifles.......and now maybe even semi-auto high powered rifles. CRAZY!!!! Better ban those turkey sounding devices while you're at it.

"Reaping" or stalking has been illegal for quite some time in the spring. Every field in the country would soon be crawling with reaping hunters if that craze caught on, but I don't see the way I used the fan to be any different from setting up a remote decoy. My way was just a little more intense. I still got the bird to come to me.

The commission has it worded not however that you cannot use a fan to conceal your person. In other words, they are considering it a blind and not a decoy.
To me that is pretty lame. My fan measures 30" across and 16" tall. That's hardly enough to cover my movement enough to consider it a blind. They painted this with a very broad brush. Be careful what you wish for, because they might come after something else in the same way.
30 yards is 90 feet, not 60. And no, I was not surprised that the hunter did not see us. The fact that this guy got so close to the sounds of a hen turkey IS what surprised me. Anybody who hunts spring turkeys should have enough sense to realize that if they hear hen sounds, there is a better than average chance there is a hunter nearby.

There are people who will see your fan and focus so intently on that image to where they will not see the camouflaged hunter. I truly believe that, and its been proven in accident cases where the hunter fired at what he thought was a turkey and didn't see the hunter's form until it was too late. Mistake number one was stalking hen sounds. Everybody should have enough control to know, hen sounds, most likely a hunter, whether it is or not. We're not hunting hens in the spring, so no excuses to be stalking sounds, hen sounds in particular.

Last edited by Blue Bird; 02-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Still no answer... Again, does anyone know of or had an experience with a WCO and someone using the technique known as "reaping "... I've never heard or read anything about what happened, just curious ...
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you watch a lot of the hunting shows they are starting to use these. I've also noticed an increase in people crawling and stocking turkey with decoys in their hands. I use to be a hunter-trapper education instructor and I would never advocate doing any of this. Safety is the utmost importance. We each must make our own choice when no one is watching us and I hope all our members make wise decisions when hunting. With that being said I hope everyone has a safe spring season.

A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work!
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 PM

Hunting shows are not good for teaching safety. Just watch where the muzzles are pointed when walking.
K. Gus and Blue Bird like this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17 View Post
Does "calling" have to be verbal?
One definition of "calling" is to entice another to come to you. I would think that decoying would fit the definition of calling as far as hunting is concerned.

If decoying is not "calling", then why are decoys legal to use?

If decoys are legal to use, what is the minimum distance you are required to be from them?

Everybody always says they want a gobbler right in their lap, well I'm telling you there is no better way to get yourself flopped and spurred than holding a decoy in your hand.

I can see it now......two guys are rushing around mid morning to get their 5 bird decoy spread out because they just heard one sounding off. The WCO cruising down the road sees them with decoys in hand and not calling (because how in the world are you going to hear them from the road anyway???).
I wander if they get a citation for all 5 decoys or just two???

Those are great questions because I guarantee you could ask those questions to five WCOs and get five completely different answers.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM
Regular Visitor

if i hunted turkey and used that turkey fan umbrella , you would not catch me behind that fan.
it it would be ok for a decoy setup, but not for anyone to hide behind or stock with it.
i was wondering is this blind or decoy legal to use in PA.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not legal. Hunting by calling is only legal way in PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page