Hunting buck with black powder during the Rut - Page 13 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post

Are those that want a legitimate chance at an antlered deer prior to rifle season willing to come together on a compromise to move forward?

The problem is it will require a petition to get the PGCs attention like it did to get small bores from being banned during crossover seasons.

The bulk of ML users are also archery hunters.....and the bulk of them will not sign the petition.

It will require someone on the BOC to take the bull by the horns and do the right thing.

I've tried to make the case with them....and I threw out $25 for a tag. It went over their heads.....while they complain about money.

Last edited by Curly Maple; 02-17-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
The problem is it will require a petition like it did to get the PGCs attention like it did to get small bores from being banned during crossover seasons.

It will require someone on the BOC to take the bull by the horns and do the right thing.
So you have thrown in the towel and have no interest at this point even though you keep bringing this issue up?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #123 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM
The Man

Quote:
So you have thrown in the towel and have no interest at this point even though you keep bringing this issue up?

I've been at this since the first year the October season was established.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Maple View Post
I've been at this since the first year the October season was established.
Maybe a different approach is needed then. How do you feel about my proposal and is that something you have tried before?

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #125 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
The Man

Quote:
Maybe a different approach is needed then. How do you feel about my proposal and is that something you have tried before?

I've proposed reminding them of the tools they have...AR, duration, and limited draw. Now given they brainstorming ways to bring in new revenue , I threw $25 per tag at them. All I get back is the standard 'thank you for your comment".

Ron Luckenbill was the guy behind the small bore/crossover petition. It was frustrating for him and he wasn't dealing with archers in the ranks as is the case with a early buck opportunity. You would think that money would cut through the politics at the top. There has always been an anti ML sentiment in Pa for some reason. You can see it in the stamp cost proposal the BOC recently made. There is underlying bias.

I would be a poor front man for public view.....because I can't stay civil. Those days are gone.

Last edited by Curly Maple; 02-17-2017 at 11:16 AM.
post #126 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Okay. Your first task as a follower is to research all 50 states. Compile a list of how many have early muzzleloader seasons. How many of those allow antlered deer to be taken. And of those that allow antlered deer to be taken, is there a draw for a special tag.

10-4 BOSS ! Since I am hands-on, I prefer mano-e-mano meetings with the heads of each states wildlife division. That said, dip into the organizational till of the "Flinters In October Society", and cut me a check. First state on my list, Florida. I will load up my golf clubs and fly out asap Monday morning. Report back after my tour of duty.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #127 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 AM
The Man

Giving one tag out...one measly tag in the entire state to the PA YHEC State Champ would be monumental given the politics.
post #128 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:18 PM

I'd like to start working towards inlines in late season. They can cut back on doe tags and take away the option of your buck tag turning into a doe tag. The resource would be able to handle it and i'm sure the majority of hunters will approve. Surely the "hardcore" flintlock hunters wouldn't be selfish enough to fight it.
post #129 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter8319 View Post
I'd like to start working towards inlines in late season. They can cut back on doe tags and take away the option of your buck tag turning into a doe tag. The resource would be able to handle it and i'm sure the majority of hunters will approve. Surely the "hardcore" flintlock hunters wouldn't be selfish enough to fight it.

Works for me. Certainly an option to transform the now flintlock season from low impact to one reducing the amount of buck being carried over.....to the archery season the following year.
post #130 of 190 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShedSeeker View Post
My crossbow shoots just as good of groups if not better out to 60 yards as my favorite deer rifle. ( i haven't tried it over 60 yards yet) In fact its a one shot rifle. I see nothing wrong with allowing at least flintlock hunters to be able to hunt during the rut. Heck the average whitetail harvest with a rifle is just under 30 yards. I'm just a life long bow hunter that realizes that black powder guys have gotten the short end of the stick over the past 30 + years.
Yeah, it shoots great out to 60 yards in your back yard or at the range that does not have trees, etc. that can effect any part of the flight. This is why I still will never go over 35 yards in the woods. There are too many unknowns beyond that range in which you can't always see that can affect an arrow a lot more than a bullet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page