safTbak Hunting Clothes -Altoona,PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

safTbak Hunting Clothes -Altoona,PA

I know some of you guys know the brand, and maybe have owned it in the past.

My question is, how did you prevent it from being "stiff-as-a-board"?

I have a jacket that has been passed down to me, its in new condition, but it's as rigid as can be.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 AM

Re: safTbak Hunting Clothes -Altoona,PA

Toss it in the washer with some 20 Mule or other old fashion soap. Just let it soak for an hour, then turn the machine on. Problem solved !
I still have my Saf t Bak vest I got when I was 12, although it seems painfully "snug". things shrink alot over the years, LOL!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM

use it....it'll soften up!!

wmu 3A
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Logger
Toss it in the washer with some 20 Mule or other old fashion soap. Just let it soak for an hour, then turn the machine on. Problem solved !
I still have my Saf t Bak vest I got when I was 12, although it seems painfully "snug". things shrink alot over the years, LOL!
Thanks I'll give give it a try this week!

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 PM

I'm 37 and have 2 small game vests & matching brush pants that were handed down to my brother & I when we started hunting. They were old then & are still functional to this day. We still have both of them & I can squeeze into mine in the early part of the season. My vest has been through he## & back with lots of make shift alterations to keep shells from falling out of the holes in the pockets. If only I had a jurnal to log all the places that vest has been, hours spent in the field, & the countless game animals carried in the game bag.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM

I have a SafTbak small game coat with the green quilted shooting patch on the shoulder. It's a little stiff. Also have a camo SafTbak fishing vest that's been sewed and patched a few times.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
Quote:
DO NOT throw it is the washing machine......the tag on mine says specifically DO NOT dry clean, DO NOT wash in washing machine, DO NOT immerse in water.....

I mix up some water and laundry soap in a bucket, and wash mine using a cloth dampened with that solution.....

I have pants and a jacket that were my Pap's that I got after he passed away.......I'm sure they hadnt fit him in ages, but they are a good well made product...

I wear the coat a lot every year when small game hunting....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine
Quote:
DO NOT throw it is the washing machine......the tag on mine says specifically DO NOT dry clean, DO NOT wash in washing machine, DO NOT immerse in water.....

I mix up some water and laundry soap in a bucket, and wash mine using a cloth dampened with that solution.....

I have pants and a jacket that were my Pap's that I got after he passed away.......I'm sure they hadnt fit him in ages, but they are a good well made product...

I wear the coat a lot every year when small game hunting....

I second the "do not immerse in water" statement. I've received several hand me downs due to older brothers trying to wash their canvas jackets or pants, as well passed down some of mine to my son!

I still have a few Saf T Bak items, vest, brush pants, and jacket. The only time I know of them being washed is if it rained hard.
Besides, one of the "smells of hunting" I like the most is the smell of well used canvas jacket!

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page