TSA gun case locks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
PSA

TSA gun case locks

I haven't flown with a firearm since 9/11 but I'm headed to Kansas for a turkey hunt in April. I've already got my SKB case. But what type/brand of TSA approved gun case locks would anyone recommend? Thanks.

Memories - what a lifetime of hunting gives a man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM

Re: TSA gun case locks

Thats a good question. I myself need the answer to that one. I fly every year to KS to bowhunt, They have told me to get the TSA locks instead of the ones I have to avoid them cutting them off to get inside my case. They said the TSA approved locks have a master key so they are able to open them.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 PM

I have flown out of Philly 3 times in the last 6 years with a bow. I don't have TSA locks and never had a problem.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 PM

I've got two SKB rifle cases. The newer one comes with TSA locks right on the case. The last trip I took a screener thanked me for making his job simpler. I think the SKB single scoped rifle case was about $150. Well worth the money, for a good case and smoother travel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 AM

I flew to Newfoundland in 2008 and was forced to purchase tsa locks for my case while going through the check in. They were very strict and followed the rules to the word. Also was told from other hunters of the horror stories they endured also while flying. Several were fined for incorrectly packaging ammo as well as being hassled about the lock. Be sure to study the regulations.
All of my follow up trips I drove to avoid the hassle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 AM

I travel alot with a gunbox. For starters,get a good box. I've seen cheap plastic boxes with holes punched through, hinges broken,and once saw one come off conveyor in Denver that was laid wide open.My Cabelas box has been on 21 trips,still like new. To your question,gunboxes are opened in the airport for the inspection by TSA,not because they contain guns, but because most are metal and don't X-ray well. TSA are not interested in your guns; they are looking for traces of explosives.Since you must open and close case for their inspection, TSA generic locks would not be needed. Note that in Canada,flying out Toronto or any Canadian airport, you must install trigger locks or lock cable in action,and ammo must be in shell case and packed in bag other than gunbox. Air Canada also shakes you down for 50 buck surcharge per box, each way,when flying guns. Can put 2 rifles in one box though.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:33 PM

You don't need/want TSA locks. If they want to inspect the case, they will do it when you drop it off with TSA. I use 4 medium size master locks that are keyed the same.

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/a/flying_with_guns.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page