The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Are hunters aware of this?

14K views 158 replies 57 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
#34 ·
I'll just use the pocket digest....I figure if ANYTHING changed, there would have been a 15-page thread on here of complaints and reasons why it was a stupid change.......

#36 ·
The pocket digest was handy and easy to take with you, however I liked the detail and added information on the booklet. Ill fork over the additional six bucks and see how it goes.
The PGC and the PFBC are both long overdue for license increases and I personally believe they should set the fees and the Legislature should be removed from the process.

#40 ·
RSB,
If my new understanding is correct and please correct me. PGC takes care of SGL that us hunters paid for and State Forest is handled by the DCNR? If so then if I'm correct PGC tries to establish better game care, etc. where the DCNR is mainly only worried about timber? If I'm right there would it be a fair statement to say that " us " as in hunters do not want the DCNR taking over the game lands as one good reason besides other ones that you mentioned?

#42 ·
hated trying to weed out the information from the ads anyway. Used to be, you could buy a book containing the Games laws and regulations. Now I suppose it is only available on line. Although it would be easy enough to create a downloadable app to have it all on a phone or tablet Heck I have an app that converts English to four other languages and back again. Can access whether or not there is a signal Can't be that difficult for the game law.

#43 ·
Although it would be easy enough to create a downloadable app to have it all on a phone or tablet Heck I have an app that converts English to four other languages and back again. Can access whether or not there is a signal Can't be that difficult for the game law.
The worst part is, there is an app for that. They make you pay $6 for it and all it is a a terrible version of google maps that sometimes shows game land boundaries, but only at certain zooms and only on certain days. There's also a link to an ebook of the game digest. But of course you have to have data connection. I try not to complain about the PGC but they really dropped on the ball on that one. They should take the $6 from the digest purchases and put it into an app that does something.

#45 ·
Sounds like two sets of rules, one for people able or willing to pay the six dollars, and another set of lesser rules for the poor, or unwilling to pay the money. I know in the past our book was still a small version of the big rule book, as I have gotten the big giant book before, and even that was free. You should only be charged for the violations that you commit in what ever book you receive, the same as you only get the hunting privladges that you pay for. Just like you have to buy an archery stamp to archery hunt, you should only get the fine, for the rules you break, that came with you particular book.

#48 ·
same day that licenses go on sale 6-19-17

i e-mailed my state rep. he is going to see if they can get additional copies or make copies and make them available for free. he also offered to print one out for me.

how awesome is that.

#53 ·
I guess what I'd like to see would be some sort of audit of how much money the GC gets from the timber and gas rights along with the license and where that money is spent. Although they haven't had a "general" license increase in some time, they've added a special turkey tag and increased all the other "tags" periodically.

I have followed discussions in the habitat forum and it has been said that they (GC) have not been able to do the minimum amount of their desired timbering because of lack of qualified staff to layout the cut. That seems to be a double edged sword. Early successional habitat is not created and wildlife suffers and the GC does not receive any timber money.

I would like to see their plan as to what we should expect if and when they do get an increase through. I think that's a fair request.

#54 ·
i think R.S.B. has explained the gas and timber rights on SGL's.

i agree, i too would like to know where and what the increase is going to be used for especially since the cost of everything is going to double when they get the increase.

they could also sell permits to allow dog training on SGL's

#67 ·
A few things that always bothered me about the 'average' PA hunter.

1. The complete lack of knowledge of how the PGC operates.
2. The complete lack of knowledge of wildlife management and especially deer estimates.
3. The lack of an interest in actually hunting (i.e. how many 'hunters' are against Sunday, well you know, hunting.)

It would seem to me, that if something was so important to a person as many claim hunting is, that person would have a fundamental understanding of the things that impact it. As well, want to actually do the activity.

#96 ·
i am going to refute the statement. State employees pay into the pension, their pension obligation has been and will be met every pay day as it is taken out of their checks.

the part of the pension that is a drain on taxpayers and happens to be a huge part of the budget is the fault of the State legislature.

let me repeat that: the part of the pension that is a drain on taxpayers and happens to be a huge part of the budget is the fault of the State legislature.

i also saw on the news tonight that the unfunded pension obligation (that is the fault of the State not the employee) is now 62 BILLION dollars.

they can change the pension system all they want. it will not eliminate this payment. the 62 BILLION dollars must be paid into the pension system, IT HAS TO be paid. the Legislature has voted for years to use the money for other items, now it has come full circle and bit them in the butt.

they CAN NOT make it go away, that would be just as illegal as not paying into it over the years. this is and has been a criminal act, they all need to be charged.

the employees have nothing to do with this mess, its your congressman and senators that have caused this, go complain to them, ask them what they did with the money and how its going to be paid. GO ASK THEM.

thats all i have to say about that.

#91 ·
I can't even wrap my mind around the direction this thread has gone. Holding an independently funded agency hostage over the state pension program...SMH. Some people just aren't happy unless they can look into the furthest nook and cranny of the room to find something to complain about.

#95 ·
Everyone has something to gripe about. If it weren't griping about a license increase, they'd be griping about the state income tax getting raised to fund the agency when it gets turned over to the legislators. See the whining then when there IS NO CHOICE but to pay it. Again, SMH.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.