The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Are hunters aware of this?

14K views 158 replies 57 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Nothing exciting there for me. $25 fee for a pheasant is fine, if the revenue can restore the pheasant population and create/maintain habitat. Most everyone can down load the digest for free. All hunters should already know the current game laws, so all that is needed is to update to law changes annually, a quick refresher read, rules that apply if one is going to hunt with a different weapon, add a season or species.

I am for using the $200,000 dollars in more productive ways.

#35 ·
Nothing exciting there for me. $25 fee for a pheasant is fine, if the revenue can restore the pheasant population and create/maintain habitat. Most everyone can down load the digest for free. All hunters should already know the current game laws, so all that is needed is to update to law changes annually, a quick refresher read, rules that apply if one is going to hunt with a different weapon, add a season or species.

I am for using the $200,000 dollars in more productive ways.

The $25 pheasant permit isn't priced high enough to fully fund the cost of the pheasants. The $1.2 million (200,000 x $6) raised from the digest sales is probably going ....or will end up, subsidizing the pheasant program.

#83 ·
Exactly. I understand that some people have real issues with the game commission. ( I ALSO know that some of those people got busted fair and square. ) And I have some myself. BUT this expectation of continued services and production with no more money is just ridiculous. we live in a world of $1000 rifle scopes, $30,000 bass boats, $40,000 pick-ups, $13,000 buggies, BUT DON'T RAISE LICENCE FEES BY $5. or anything, for that matter.

In my experience, some people began losing perspective around 1995.
Want it? Pay for it. The cost of 2 quarter-pounders with cheese would change the quality (or maintain it) of hunting notably.

#9 ·
As usual my 2 cents.
The PGC has a tough time operating when you have a group of elective slugs that are looking at being re-elected rather than what they probably think is or are minor issues. If every true Pennsylvania sportsman would send a note (email takes 4 minutes) to their representative and say," Let the PGC police its self". If that were true we could actually complain to the PGC regarding problems rather than beating them up over things they can't control.

#10 ·
Despite not having an increase since 99 you would be surprised how many guys think that they're raising the license all the time. I used to work in a store that sold licenses and about 1 out of every 5 guys that came in would start complaining "They just keep raising the price every year"

#21 ·
I have witnessed the exact same thing, years back when I worked in a hunting and fishing store.

I worked when the applicant had to fill out the form, then the employee would use the information on the form to hand write the license. It always amazed me how many people could not complete that simple form. So many times I would finish writing the license and ring it up on the register then the person buying it would say "hey you forgot my archery sticker or muzzleloader sticker"! No I didnt forget it, you didnt mark it on the application. Or they would have to be shown multiple times where their signature was required. And the whole time they would be complaining about how much the license cost!

Good luck, Tony

#11 ·
I heard they would discontinue it.
My question is, are they charging enough for the advertising in the book?
That was part of the reason they changed the format.
That and also to be of a conventional size to be cheaper to print.
I don't think I've seen what it cost to print and what the advertising income is.

#14 ·
That is old news heard about it a couple of months ago. the printing costs have gone up substantially. Funny how everyone says they do not need an increase, but when they start to cut different things, even small things like the digest. every one is up in arms. wake up the pgc. a license increase it is over due.

#17 ·
First, I'll start by saying that the pgc should be able to regulate license fees without the consent of the legislature.

Second, the pgc should know that the constituents of an elected official normally determines how the politician votes on a issue (unless they don't want to be in office very long). So maybe they should try to improve they're relationship with they're customers.

Third, in no way shape or form am I complaining whatsoever, but I make a little less today than I did in 99' and I do not rely on the government for extra help or anyone else for that matter. It's called living within your means. To say there is no waste within the pgc's current budget would be just kidding yourselves.....

A final thought would be, imagine if everyone was given the ability to give themselves a raise as they deemed necessary........

#27 · (Edited)
First, I'll start by saying that the pgc should be able to regulate license fees without the consent of the legislature.
NO way brother! That would be like allowing the fox to guard the hen house. Since there is no competing entity to the game commission to entice competition, if they were allowed sole authority to regulate license fees, they could increase the fees to kingdom come, right to the point where only the elite and or rich would be allowed to hunt. Not good.

#20 ·
all i need is the pocket guide. if there is something not in the guide that has changed and someone doesnt have the internet and did not buy the digest, i dont see how they can hold you accountable for the violation if the "change" isnt in the pocket guide.

gonna be fun.

#24 ·
Here's a good one.. That little book with be filled with advertising... Cause if not the advertisers will all be pulling there ads.
They pay the same amount as last year or more.. Then to see the number of books being made from 800k to 200k..
I guess 3/4 of every page in that little book with be advertising..

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.