The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Are Hunting camps dying out ?

13K views 105 replies 56 participants last post by  DennyF 
#1 ·
I don't hear many folks talking about going to camp for deer hunting like i use to ?
Some of my family has had a camp for years and years. They slacked off going there a few years back due to the lack of deer but still go for bear season. Bears have gotten scarce there now also so they don't get excited about that season now ?
All of the original camp builders have long since passed away and their kids are now grandparents? The grandchildren have no desire to go sleep in a cabin nor hunt for a couple of days on ruffing it.

#4 ·
The ones I have seen dying over the years are the ones with no indoor plumbing. Those are the ones that were used mostly for hunting/fishing with maybe a few weekends during the year. Younger generations did not want to put up with the "inconvenience" (waiting for the 1st guy to go warm up the seat in the outhouse haha)plus also have less free time, so the camps started dying off. I did notice that the newer ones with modern conveniences were more active. Wives and daughters going along during hunting/fishing trips and making it more of a "family" event. First noticed the change when I started seeing more wives (all dressed up, which told me full plumbed bathrooms in camp) in the bars with their husbands the weekend before the deer opener. It was a night out "dancing". Used to be only guys and a few local ladies. Newer, "modern" camps get used more by families all year. Even if the hunting is not great, it's still a mini family vacation. Older camps now you just see a few guys go up to cut grass and maybe hunt/fish a few days a year. Turning into a money pit so they are unloading them. I was too far from my family camp to use it much for the money I had invested, but it was a very active hunting camp. I finally walked away from it and bought a camper.

#5 ·
Not in my area of 3A, but possibly because we have deer and apparently, some camp goers who are now retired and can spend more time the past few years? Several nearby camps that were traditionally only occupied for the first few days of firearms deer over the past ten years or so, now have people there for the entire first week, or even longer.

There are also several new camps in the area over the past several years, plus some more farm land that has changed hands and is now hunting/recreational land. Unlike much of Potter, this area of Tioga never had a long tradition of hunting camps. Camps were still a new thing in our area, as recently as the early 80s. Now there are camps in the area comprised of several hundred acres.

One not far away, now totals over a thousand acres, since they've added a few more farms since that camp was started about 20 years ago.

Even with some additional camps, local hunting pressure has declined a bit recently. Mostly due to fewer locals still hunting for various reasons (old age, health, death, kids moving away for work) and partly due to land changing hands and posters going up.

Only one local camp that's been there for years, was empty last season. Ever since the "patriarch" passed away a few years ago, that camp's occupation during deer seasons has been sporadic. They're from Delaware. So yeah, if older members no longer come to camp and succeeding generations have lost interest, then camps decline.

Suspect that if there are ample deer in an area, camps will still be a factor in that local hunting.

A friend has a camp near Germania. He constantly grumbles about "no deer" over there, but the local camps are still being used and deer taken, despite his complaints. He showed me quite a few phone pics of nice bucks taken around there last season, when he got home.

#6 ·
Absolutely, they are. And I don't think it has to do with lack of deer. People just aren't into that sort of thing anymore. The old-timers are aging out and the young bucks aren't into it. Kids in the last 10 years are more into their devices and the kids who are active are in 25 different travel leagues for sports. Parents in their 30s and 40s have no time to go away to camp and it just doesn't appeal to people like it used to.

I'm 46 and I think my generation is probably the last. I grew up going to camp and it's very dear to my heart. But my kids didn't go to the camp I grew up in. The farmer died, the land was posted, guys either gave up or bought their own places and the club dissolved. My son, my dad and I still hunt and hunt together, but not out of a club anymore. And I don't know if I could get enough friends together to buy an rustic cabin and do the camp thing either. Everyone is too busy and barely make the 3 days of buck anymore.

#8 ·
Yes they are. Many camps around me in Southern Potter (2G) are empty. Especially during rifle/deer season. However, I do see more camps open for trout and turkey. Most of my neighbors live several hours away from camp. So, they don't have the time to travel up to camp to scout for deer. With numbers being so low since HR in that area, the deer hunt has lost its luster for them. I have 3 guys that started hunting out of my camp shortly after HR started. They are slowly finding excuses not to make the trip after years of not seeing or shooting anything. They are doing their hunting with the bow down at home in Bucks County where they see deer all day long. The few guys that I see coming up in the neighboring camps don't spend the entire week in camp like they used to. The cars roll in on Sunday and roll out by Tuesday night.

#9 ·
The other end of the spectrum, when talking lower deer numbers up north, is the greater deer numbers down south. People used to head to camp because that's the only place where you could hunt deer. Now there are more deer in the suburbs. Also, back then, most people only rifle hunted, so buck camp was their only deer season. Lots of folks archery hunt now and tag out before rifle.

Deer camp was also the yearly retreat with the boys. All the guys were family men back then. Job, wife, house, kids, etc...and buck camp was the escape. Life is different now.

Buck camp is like Leave it to Beaver. It was woven into the fabric of that era. Not the 4G, Hi-Def world we live in now.

#10 ·
Yes it has big time in my area of 4d especially over the last 6 years. It is sad to see! Many contributing factors as mentioned in other posts but the number one contributor in this area "lack of deer"!
A bunch of these camps are owned by guys from 2.5- 3.5 hours away. Gas prices were up and guys decided it's not worth putting the time and effort and money into something that just didn't ever produce that apex excitement moment anymore.
Younger generation cannot stand to be off the wifi for 3-4 days and hate going to camp and actually interacting with people. This year more then half the camps were empty in rifle season in my area. Never thought I would see that day. We saw one buck hanging at a camp and heard of 2 others being shot. Days when it sounded like a war are over. You hardly know it's deer season now!
I think archery success has a factor in it. As I and a bunch of others I know are tagged out usually in bow season.
People changing jobs and not having the vacation and time they used to have.
Our sport and the traditions we have held precious have definitely been affected by this changing world!

#11 ·
I hear so many people blaming the lack of deer, and I get it. But back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, half the guys in our old camp never got a buck. And they kept on coming. They would occasionally get a doe, if they drew a tag. But these guys would go 10-15 years and never get a buck. In the glory days. But they came to camp anyway. To hang with buddies, play poker, head into town for the spaghetti dinner, to drink beer and smoke cigarettes without their wives nagging them, to watch smokers in the back room. :D

It was more about the social aspect than actually getting a deer. Most of these guys knew they weren't getting a deer anyway, but wouldn't miss spending time at camp with the guys.

#13 ·
You're right. I grew up going to a camp with family and friends. We had a cabin from the time I was 7 until I was about 16. One of the partners in the cabin had kids in college and needed the money so he wanted out and ended up forcing our family to sell. For a few years after that another guy who used the camp, got permission for us to hunt a farm that was owned by a relative of his. We did that for probably 5-6 years before the owner passed away and the farm was sold. In all of those years that I hunted with them NONE of the 4-5 older original members of our group killed a deer. Some of them I don't think even wanted to shoot one. Now that the camps are gone, most of the other guys don't even hunt anymore. It was the experience without a doubt, not a lack of deer. I sure miss going to camp, and I know the others guys do too (even the one that forced us to sell).

#12 ·
Back when most of the camps were build the only places in the state where you could find deer, bear or turkeys in numbers worth hunting were a few of the northern tier counties. Back then travel was over two lane roads that weren’t real good and cars weren’t as luxurious as they are today. That made travel to get the big game hunting areas something that wasn’t as easy as it is today. When they came to camp it was everyone piling into one or two cars with all their equipment and heading north for a several days and often for an entire week.

But as time went on deer, bear and turkeys became abundant in the areas of the state where there used to be next to none. That meant hunters no longer had to travel al day to get to a camp if they wanted to hunt. That then of course meant many of the camps were no longer being used, at least in the same capacity as they had originally.

Now many of those camps have turned into summer homes and/or weekend getaway location for the entire family. Some of the camps are falling down but the majority have more use now than ever, though often for an entirely different purpose.

I often hear local businesses complaining that they are losing money now that the hunters don’t come to camp in the fall. That is actually not correct though. Back then it was a boom and bust spending cycle where they got a lot of tourist (hunter) money coming into the area for a couple weeks each year. Now they don’t have the boom and cycle and instead of a much more even cash flow throughout the entire year. That actually is better for their business than the old boom and bust days of a lot of hunters for a week or two even though it is undoubtedly harder for them to recognize and/or measure.

Dick Bodenhorn

#14 ·
Figure in that young people these days are starting out buried in student loan debt...how are they supposed to pay property taxes and upkeep at a distant cabin? Also, they don't have the inclination to find a hunting spot 3 hours or more from home when the back forty is polluted with deer. Not to mention they now have 6+ weeks to take a deer with archery equipment (read crossbows).

#16 · (Edited)
I also agree that the abundance and spread of wildlife in the state has something to do with it. In years passed going to camp was the only way that some people had to hunt, especially those from more urban areas. My Grandfather grew up outside of Pittsburgh and he NEVER saw wildlife in his neighborhood growing up. Now roads and cars are better and it doesn't take as much effort as it once did, so the need to stay overnight or for extended periods has diminished. I know I personally don't think twice about driving 2-3 hours to hunt/fish for the day and driving home again, but it wasn't always that way.

Like others have said, now the suburbs are polluted with deer and more people are hunting archery and special regs areas so there is little need to travel. I'm 34 and I would LOVE to have a camp or be a part of a camp again, but it's hard to justify the cost when property taxes keep going up and you factor in all of the maintence and upkeep. I know that most of my friends my age who are hunters can't afford what amounts to a second house to use a few weekends a year.

#17 ·
Yes and no. I started hunting in the 90's so I am not sure I've seen the heyday, but in my 20 years of hunting year round use has increased, while less people hunt the traditional rifle season. Our camp is busiest last 2 weeks of archery season now. Pretty much everyone takes off work during that time. Most of the hardcore hunters are tagged out and some, myself included, frankly just don't care for rifle hunting. That season is all about the kids at our camp. We get a lot of family summertime use out of ours as well. Traditions change, just the way it is.

In my opinion, the public land of the PA Wilds region should have more true wilderness and less of the lease camps and roads, so I wouldn't mind seeing them gradually fade away over the next century.

#18 ·
Sunday hunting would help with camp use and the tourist economies in the camp regions, as I said in the other thread. Makes a lot more sense for a guy to drive 2-3 hours and be able to hunt Sunday morning before heading home. I burn 2/3 of my vacation every year hunting, but I am certainly hardcore. Most of the more casual hunters that make up large percentages of the campgoers, if they have vacation at all, aren't allocating it to deer hunting like that.

#19 ·
are hunting camps dying out?

YES!
In 1990 our family bought a camp in the Renovo area. We have indoor plumbing and electric. During the first ten years there was lots of interest and company. We would have many "work" weekends. In the spring we would have a group up for turkey and trout. In the fall a couple weekends for turkey, archery, and grouse. Then deer week. And then a group for after Christmas archery and grouse. We probably had twenty different people coming and going.
Now, it's basically me, my wife, and two german shorthairs! (we are in our early fifties)Dad and uncles have retired from hunting and fishing. Friends have moved out of the area or have other interests. Children of friends have no interest.
There are many camps in the area with lower attendance from years ago.
jb

#20 ·
Not dying in my opinion. My kids would go to camp every weekend if we could. I would go every weekend if I could. No electricity, no running water, no indoor plumbing, no cell phone service.... No problem.

Yes, lots less deer in 2G, but the quality of the bucks are fantastic. Good bear numbers..... small game not so much.

Based on my completely unscientific research, the camps around me in 2G are pretty full from October through the end of December and again in the spring. Actually, with archery season, I'd argue that the camps get much more regular use in the fall than when 90% of your hunters focused on the two weeks of firearm. Maybe that's why usage doesn't seem so heavy, because guys are spreading their vacation over 3 months instead of just 2 weeks in early December?

Also, if you don't believe camps are still pretty popular, try buying one.

#21 ·
No doubt camps are dying out. So many reasons. I think the biggest reason is that the hunting is better at home than at camps. The rifle opener is not nearly as popular as it once was. Less overall hunters. Lack of time and funds. Camps lacking tv, internet, etc., many just drive up to hunt the day as the trips take less time.

One that gets overlooked is many diehard hunters go out of state to camps or to an outfitter. The idea of a second tag or bigger deer is huge draw these days. I for one would never buy a camp in pa. Why not invest in a place that would allow more harvests. Although i do know lots who think PA allows a "deer camp buck" and a trophy archery buck per year.

#23 ·
No doubt camps are dying out. So many reasons. I think the biggest reason is that the hunting is better at home than at camps. The rifle opener is not nearly as popular as it once was. Less overall hunters. Lack of time and funds. Camps lacking tv, internet, etc., many just drive up to hunt the day as the trips take less time.

One that gets overlooked is many diehard hunters go out of state to camps or to an outfitter. The idea of a second tag or bigger deer is huge draw these days. I for one would never buy a camp in pa. Why not invest in a place that would allow more harvests. Although i do know lots who think PA allows a "deer camp buck" and a trophy archery buck per year.
Maybe you should try turning in these "lots" of people if you're aware of it and the hunting in PA may be better.

#22 ·
Not dying in my opinion. My kids would go to camp every weekend if we could. I would go every weekend if I could. No electricity, no running water, no indoor plumbing, no cell phone service.... No problem.

Yes, lots less deer in 2G, but the quality of the bucks are fantastic. Good bear numbers..... small game not so much.

Based on my completely unscientific research, the camps around me in 2G are pretty full from October through the end of December and again in the spring. Actually, with archery season, I'd argue that the camps get much more regular use in the fall than when 90% of your hunters focused on the two weeks of firearm. Maybe that's why usage doesn't seem so heavy, because guys are spreading their vacation over 3 months instead of just 2 weeks in early December?

Also, if you don't believe camps are still pretty popular, try buying one.
I see what your saying. Sounds like different kind of camps. In 3B, we had a lot of camps that were primarily rifle camps. Guys from the city would come up once a year, in rifle, to spend a week at "buck camp". Maybe 2 out of 12 of these guys archery hunted or fished. When I was a kid, my dad and I would have the cabin any summer weekend we wanted. In squirrel season, it was mostly just us two again. Maybe another guy every so often. But the week after Thanksgiving was the big migration. I am not seeing that anymore.

I wonder if it also had to do with the way people lived at home back then. Most of the guys in our old camp were from the same neighborhood back at home. The other guys ended up marrrying into those families. So these guys were pretty close-knit. Easy to plan trips to the cabin. Easy to plan buying a cabin.

For me, I see most of the guys in my camp only once a year. We try to get together other times and nobody can ever get free to do it.

#24 ·
We had a cabin in Medix Run for years and sold it because it was not used much anymore. The guy who bought it spends a lot of time there and I am glad he enjoys it. Years ago we had no good deer hunting or turkey hunting in this area and we had no choice but go to the mountains, now our hunting is really good. I do miss the comradery of hunting camps and have been thinking about buying another, but in southern Ohio for the longer archery season and Sunday hunting. I think hunting camps seem to be a Pa. thing because you see very few cabins in Ohio.

#27 ·
Im in 3B, we have guys every weekend of archery, the whole last week of archery, the first 3 days of rifle, and both Saturdays. Also trout we get a full house and the opener of spring gobbler. Archery I believe is the reason why rifle is taking a hit. Like I said a bunch of times on here, we do well killing our bucks in archery, rifle is more for the kids!

#29 ·
I have written here about my beginning in hunting in the 50s.
My cabin was my Grandparents home. They owned a large part of a mountain behind their house. The forest was owned by a water company and covered a vast mountain area.
There was a group of fellows who would met at their house so i guess you could have called it a base camp. These folks are all gone and it seems none of their clan hunts or even live around the area?
I have told my youngest son of the hunts i was on with those people and he now goes to that piece of woods to hunt. As was mentioned it is in Archery season though.
My older son has built an A frame house in the woods but it is not near there. This is my hunting camp for he put a room in there in the basement for me to come and hunt anytime i wish.

#30 ·
The deer camp tradition is definitely dying. Low deer numbers aren't helping in the big woods, but deer camps would be struggling even with a better population. There seems to be a growing trend in society today to socialize less. When I was a kid, my mother was in a card club, bowling league, and the ladies guild at church. Dad was in two bowling leagues, two golf leagues, French and Belgium Club, and the Knight of Columbus. Today, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Masonic Lodges, sportsmans clubs, volunteer firefighting, Lions Club, Rotary Club....the list is endless of groups and associations that at one time flourished but now struggle for members. Even youth sports are in trouble, as many high schools in the area struggle to get enough kids to field a football team. Church attendance is way off, and many church's are closing or consolidating. People today don't seem to have a sense of community that they once possessed, and you can throw deer camps into the same bucket. Folks today would rather stay home and hunt alone rather than be part of a crew driving deer like their fathers and grandfathers did.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.