more ags - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

more ags

What is going on with everyone. My head is about to explode and yet I see more everyday. What are people thinking proposing more special tags(i.e. pheasant, game lands, state forests, pig, goat, cow, chicken). When is the Game Commission going to work with the money they get and spend what they do get responsibly or be like other government agencies and raise taxes all the time. I am all for non license holders to pay to play on game lands but to charge hunters to use game lands that were bought with our license money is sacrilege.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
The Man

Lol, oh boy. This should get interesting
WilySpike likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
What is going on with everyone. My head is about to explode and yet I see more everyday. What are people thinking proposing more special tags(i.e. pheasant, game lands, state forests, pig, goat, cow, chicken). When is the Game Commission going to work with the money they get and spend what they do get responsibly or be like other government agencies and raise taxes all the time. I am all for non license holders to pay to play on game lands but to charge hunters to use game lands that were bought with our license money is sacrilege.
What are you talking about, or do you really even have any idea how the Game Commission even works?

The Game Commission gets no tax money, they canít raise license fees (only the State Legislature can do that) and they havenít enacted a hunting license fee increase since 1999.

How about you go into work tomorrow and tell the boss you would be ok if they went ahead and rolled your pay back to what you were making in 1999. Come back then after a few months and tell us how that is works out for you and your family while you have been paying todayís prices for a while.

Dick Bodenhorn
WilySpike and bucksnort1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

They do need a lic increase but on the other hand they need to learn to manage there budget a little better. I'm all in for a general lic fee and a program to purchase all other tags ( 25 dollar deer tag that's arc, muz gun ) a spring turkey and fall tags to no more free tags I my self don't feel that a 100 a year for adults is not a bad deal and like 50 for a minor for the year my 2 cents
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

rsb I do know how the commission works and disagree with the latest bunch of people that think we need a special tag for everything. I do know the commission does not get tax funding but also see lots of stupid spending by them. You want to help them> push for higher fines of poachers and other big crimes against the game laws. I really don't care when their last license increase was. Maybe in your world the commission has done great things but in my areas of hunting it has been a disaster. too many doe tags given out, dmap tags given out where signs of deer is minimal at best, writing up people for throwing garbage in garbage can(I got that one), Not chasing farmers illegally poisoning because it is too hard. Not fining farmers for shooting in the name of crop damage in safety zones(I had to put a stop to that after commission wouldn't do anything). So no I don't have much respect for the commission in the last 20 years as I watch hunting change for the bad worrying only about the size and age of deer killed. Hunter numbers have dropped immensely and addressing that seems opposing their management style. A kid does not want to be in woods for days and maybe see a couple deer.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM
Part of the Community

Are you joking? This hardly merits a serious response. They indeed need to cut costs, but that's still not enough if you do some research on the projections. We're talking deficits of a quarter of their budget within 5 years.

Get off your kiester and do some scouting in a new area, these are the good old days. If it's that bad in your area, there are probably factors to blame that are well beyond the PGC's control. They can't do anything to change the fact that our forests were mismanaged for the past 150 years. If you want to shoot a malnourished spike that badly you can still go to WV and do it. Don't blame the PGC for doing what had to be done to improve the health of the deer herd and our forests. I don't get it how people can be so entitled to think they should be able to go sit on a stump in woods where there's nothing to eat and see 20 deer a day? And then they say other people's expectations are off? If you think that's a realistic expectation, I have some oceanfront property in Clinton County with big bucks running all over, I think you'd just love it!
hunter-trapper21 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd View Post
rsb I do know how the commission works and disagree with the latest bunch of people that think we need a special tag for everything. I do know the commission does not get tax funding but also see lots of stupid spending by them. You want to help them> push for higher fines of poachers and other big crimes against the game laws. I really don't care when their last license increase was. Maybe in your world the commission has done great things but in my areas of hunting it has been a disaster. too many doe tags given out, dmap tags given out where signs of deer is minimal at best, writing up people for throwing garbage in garbage can(I got that one), Not chasing farmers illegally poisoning because it is too hard. Not fining farmers for shooting in the name of crop damage in safety zones(I had to put a stop to that after commission wouldn't do anything). So no I don't have much respect for the commission in the last 20 years as I watch hunting change for the bad worrying only about the size and age of deer killed. Hunter numbers have dropped immensely and addressing that seems opposing their management style. A kid does not want to be in woods for days and maybe see a couple deer.
Let me see if I have your thinking down correctly.

During the past fiscal year the Game Commission budget expenditure was $99,456,419 and they brought on a grand total of $1,615,588.00 in fine money. That amounts to fines and penalties being 1.6 % of the money they spent to fund the reduced services they could provide last year.

Do you seriously believe they could do that much better if they raised the fines, (which once again would require the actions of the State Legislature because the Game Commission can’t change the law or the amount of the fines), or if the WCOs just got out there and arrested more people? While you are chewing on that you need to remember that increasing the fines, as you suggest, would have to be done by the same State Legislature that hasn’t granted a license increase since 1999.

In all seriousness it just sounds to me like you have a burr under your saddle because you aren’t seeing enough deer to suit you and then on top of that you got a citation for violating the law. Your post kind of makes it sound like you believe you should have got off with a warning, while all the other violators, but you, were getting caught and hit with heavier fines so the Game Commission wouldn’t need a license increase.

Or, do I have it all wrong and just missed something in your post?

Dick Bodenhorn

Last edited by R. S. B.; 02-17-2017 at 05:22 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I've long said we need to be careful what we ask for with respect to fees for non-hunters to use SGL's.

With use permits and assessed fees comes a voice on the use/future of SGL's.

I'd rather they get free use and a lower priority than habitat management/hunting than have them pay to use the SGL's and have a say in how those properties are managed. Outside our little niche in the world, the non-hunters who use SGL's complain about our presence on them during hunting season because it interrupts there [insert activity here]. Let that sink in for a minute. They complain that hunters hunt on State Game Lands. And no, I'm not making that up.

I will GLADLY pay an increase on all fees associated with hunting in PA....tags, licenses, whatever....to keep the SGL's managed by the PGC for wildlife and hunting purposes with zero input from the REI/EMS crowd.
Nimrodx likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunting license fees are the cheapest activity costs today. Can't understand the constant whining about increases.
I agree with TDD, if we charge the Bambi lovers a use fee we will soon lose out.
Why? There a lot more of them than us and they do not like our activity.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM
The Man

I don't like their activity on lands i helped pay for.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page