The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Old photos

90K views 134 replies 70 participants last post by  Orion86 
#1 ·
I was sent these in a group of old photos, thought they'd be of interest to hunters.

"They were found by a Metis near Baptiste Lake in 1910 and were reared by bottle and
broken to drive by Mr. Day at Athabasca Landing during the winter of 1910. Mr. Day and the moose team hauled mail and supplies.
"

"Deer Hunter Living In A Log , 1893. Tough guys live in tough places, I guess. Home is where you make it!
"

See less See more
#54 ·
grousechaser said:
Hemry27,
I love the Allegheny National Forest pic! If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to have you post it and any other old ANF photos you might have at my Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/ASeasonontheAllegheny

By the way, I see we share the same hometown. I grew up on Doyle Road in Sarver. My dad still lives there, in fact.
Thanks. Ill check your page. Im sure we know alot of the same people! My in laws are on Parker Rd. Im over by the Golf Course.

#57 ·
My Grandma , 1972. New Mexico record for 1972, 16 1/2"
Grandpa dropped her off on a knoll,drove the jeep out of sight and got stuck in the mud. She shot the antelope 10 minutes after he left. He was pretty upset he missed it all. Mount was the only one EVER allowed in the house. All his were in the garage.

Grandpa butchering his last elk in the late 80's in New Mexico, he was in his late 70's. Very successful hunt as 4 guys got 3 cow elk

Attachments

#58 ·
This one is from my area, not Pa, but still pretty interesting. These old timers were tough and they played by their own rules.

Noah John Rondeau
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Noah John Rondeau (July 6, 1883 – August 24, 1967) was a widely known hermit in the High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains of New York State.

Biography
He was born on July 6, 1883 and raised near Au Sable Forks, New York with many siblings by his parents Peter Rondeau (b. Canada) and Alice "Allie" Corrow Rondeau (b. New York, d. May 1900, Black Brook, New York),[1] but ran away from home as a teenager several months after the death of his mother. He only obtained an eighth-grade education yet was quite well read, with a strong interest in astronomy. Before distancing himself too far from civilization, he lived in Coreys, New York, on the Raquette River in the western Adirondacks, where for fifteen years he worked as a handyman, caretaker, and guide. He gained some of his knowledge of the woods from Dan Emmett, an Abenaki Indian from Canada. He also made occasional brief visits to jail for game law violations.

Rondeau frequently hunted and trapped in the Cold River area, about 17 miles from Corey’s, and in 1929, at age 46, he began living alone year-round in the remote area, saying he was "not well satisfied with the world and its trends," and calling himself the "Mayor of Cold River City (Population 1)."

He kept extensive journals over a period of several decades, many of which were written in letter-substitution ciphers of his own invention. The ciphers progressed through at least three major revisions in the late thirties and early forties and in its final form resisted all efforts to be deciphered until 1992 (Life With Noah, p. 91).

Although he was considered an Adirondack hermit, he normally accepted visitors to his hermitage and even performed for them on his violin.

During World War II, in his sixties, Rondeau was apparently suspected of being a draft dodger, as he submitted a letter dated 4/8/43 to the Ausable Forks Record-Post:

I never went to Cold River to dodge anything, unless it was from 1930 to 1940 when it might be said I dodged the American labor failure at which time I could not get enough in civilization to get along even as well as I could at Cold River under hard circumstances in the back woods. Since I'm not evading I did not make my first appearance at Cold River on the day that Pearl Harbor was bombed. What I'm doing toward the war effort looks like nothing, but that's all I can do and I'm doing it and it is this -- I'm self sustained.
In 1947, Rondeau was flown to the National Sportsmen's Show in New York City by helicopter, starting a series of appearances at similar shows throughout the country.

In 1950, the New York State Conservation Department closed the Cold River area to the public after a “big blow” leveled the forest, forcing Rondeau from his home at age 67. He then lived around Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, and Wilmington, New York. Besides the sportsmen's shows, he worked for a time at Frontiertown and at the North Pole in Wilmington as a substitute Santa Claus, but he didn’t return to a hermit's life and eventually went on welfare. He was buried in North Elba Cemetery, near Lake Placid, with a stone from his Cold River home marking his grave.[2]

Attachments

#59 ·
Recommended reading Noah John Rondeau, Adirondack Hermit by Maitland C. DeSormo published by NorthCountry Books Utica NY

Lots of pictures too! Spent a few hunting seasons stumbling around the Cold River where Rondeau had his camp..quite an interesting fellow. I tried posting this the other day but to no avail...back in business now.

Bill if you want the book I can send it to you.

#69 ·
The legendary books previously mentioned are great deer hunting books.
This cover was done by Ken Laager. Four of us including Ken spent 10 days in that lean to in the Adirondacks deer hunting. He did the painting from a photo of us around the campfire. He added the French voyager dress for effect. That is my buck hanging there.

Attachments

#71 ·

Vintage Hunting Gallery - October 2021

Antlers and Autos: Bringing Home the Bone
Unless you eat your quarry where it drops, you need to get it out of the woods and into the freezer. Thanks to a wealth of vintage hunting photos in the Boone and Crockett records database and our books—Mule Deer Retrospective, An American Elk Retrospective, and Vintage Hunting Album—we bring you a slideshow dedicated to vintage rides and record-book racks.
Want to see the score charts too?
It's easy. First you'll need to register on B&C’s web site for subscriber exclusives. It's FREE and takes less than a minute to complete. If you already have an account, simply log in to gain access.
Subscribe Today for FREE
1-12th_higgsbugphoto.jpg

1 of 15
1964 Volkswagen Beetle

The classic VW Beetle is better known as a hippie-hauler than a meat wagon, but that didn’t stop Jack A. Higgs from bringing home his typical whitetail from Pope County, Illinois back in 1963. While the buck may be far from any top ten list in the records at 181-3/8 points, that photo is number one in our book—especially on a ride that still has that new car smell.
View Score Chart

2-10th_jayranderson.jpg

2 of 15
1941 Buick Special

Jay R. Anderson (not pictured) shot this mule deer in Utah’s Summit County near Crandall Canyon back in 1949. That beautifully typical mule deer scored 190-1/8 points. As for the Buick, we found a 1941 Buick Special in good condition online for $12,000. A new one back in 1941 would have set you back about $1,052.

3-1950_yukonhistsociety_msay.jpg

3 of 15
1947-1949 Chevrolet 5-window ½-ton Pick up

This phenomenal rack belonged to an Alaska-Yukon moose taken by First Nations member Dave Moses in 1950. It scores 239-6/8 points and sits in the sixteen spot for the Yukon Territory, according to Big Game Records LIVE. Holding the rack is Them Kjar, then-director of the game and publicity department for the Yukon Territory. As for the Chevy, this model featured windows that wrapped around the rear quarter-panels to help eliminate blind spots.
View Score Chart

4a-denny-studebaker.jpg

4b-denny-studebaker.jpg

4 of 15
1922 Studebaker

In these 1926 photos, courtesy of Dennis Gooley (the man who identified all these vintage rides), his relatives pose with their spoils from a hunting trip to the Lost Lake area, now known as Lakeside, Montana. Howard Newgard (far right at 21 years old) and Lenard Newgard (far left at 19) borrowed their grandfather’s 1922 Studebaker, which cost $1,900 new.
5-2nd_benellwanger.jpg

5 of 15
1941 Oldsmobile 98

This 5x5 typical mule deer with 25-inch main beams was killed by Ben Ellwanger, Sr, in his home state of Washington in 1947. In other news, after more than 50 years, production of the Oldsmobile Ninety Eight was put to rest in 1996. Thankfully, we still have mule deer running around.
6-1944_verlinrhoades_1449.jpg

6 of 15
1930/31 Model A Victoria

In November 1944, Franklin Roosevelt was elected president of the United States for an unprecedented fourth term, and Verlin “Dusty” Rhoades killed this outstanding Lincoln County, Oregon Roosevelt’s elk. For 50 years this rack, which scores 316-5/8, sat undiscovered until it was entered into the 22nd Awards Period in the mid-1990s.
View Score Chart
7-bcdl_vp_wt_bray.jpg

7 of 15
1962 Mercury Meteor

Like a jack-in-the-box with antlers, this Monroe County, Missouri, typical whitetail was killed by Clark E. Bray on November 21, 1967. With a final score of 172-3/8, this bruiser doesn’t rank all that high in the records, but we’re willing to bet that few hunters would have a problem taking it home—and making room in the trunk for it.
View Score Chart
8-rustyhatfield.jpg

8 of 15
1955 Willys CJ-5 Jeep

From the battlefield to the backcountry, the Jeep CJ-5 burst onto the civilian scene in 1954. Since then, sportsmen have rock-crawled their way into the hills in search of big racks like the mule deer pictured here. This photo of Rusty Hatfield (right) was taken around 1969.
For more vintage images, check Ryan Hatfield's books on his website Idaho's Greatest Big Game.
9-1938_johnwall_rsek.jpg

9 of 15
1928 Buick Coupe

In 1938, Oliver W. Dunsmoor (pictured with Nora Dunsmoor) was hunting near Coon Creek in Clatsop County, Oregon. It was there that he killed this Roosevelt’s elk, which scored 363-1/8 points with only 2-5/8 deductions. Then, 58 years later, their grandson John Wall entered his grandfather’s elk into the Boone and Crockett Records Program. We’re not sure what happened to the Buick.
View Score Chart
10-1960_budwljump_pr.jpg

10 of 15
1956 Chevy Bel Air

Little did we know that the ‘56 Chevy is more than a classic; it’s also a pronghorn magnet. And, thanks to a spacious trunk, it was able to fit Bud Jump’s (right) massive pronghorn (center). Hunting near Juniper Mountain, Arizona with a friend, Jump’s buck measures an even 81 points.
11-3rdcompetition_spieschart.jpg

11 of 15
1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Town Sedan

With beams taping more than 30 inches, this wild-looking whitetail was killed by Roy F. Spies in 1948 in Cecil County, Maryland. While it was commonplace in the “old days” to strap your winter meat to or near the hood, we don’t recommend it—unless you want half of it cooked by the time you get home.
12-1955_rogerlinnell_photo.jpg

12 of 15
1970 Jeep Wagoneer

Would you rather have a bull like that or the Wagoneer? Regreadless, Roger Linnell had to shove this Fremont, County, Wyoming, monster into that rig back in 1955, and it scores 395-4/8. It’s currently the eleventh largest typical Wyoming bull in the records and ranks 107th overall, according to Big Game Records LIVE.
View Score Chart

13-1st_jonashwebber.jpg

13 of 15
1929 or 1930 REO Flying Cloud

Not to be confused with REO Speedwagon—the band or the light delivery truck— the REO Flying Cloud redefined how automobiles got their names. For instance, just think how luxurious and comfortable it would be riding on a cloud. Now we have Mustangs, Raptors, and of course, Beetles. Jonas H. Webber (pictured) couldn’t give a rip about car names. He’s too busy admiring the 32 ½-inch spread on this Canadian mule deer he killed in 1929 just north of La Glace, Alberta.
14-1964_haroldfmailman_18797.jpg

14 of 15
1950 Willys Station Wagon

As if a Willys Jeep wasn’t cool enough, how about a Willys Wagon? Throw on a winch and some tire chains, and you're ready for elk hunting in Elbow River, Alberta, which is where Harold Mailman killed this behemoth. Even though it’s rather narrow, it still scored 382-4/8 and sits at the twenty-six spot for Alberta typical elk, according to Big Game Records LIVE.
View Score Chart

15-1929_stephenjbosworth_mdtp.jpg

15 of 15
1923 Special Studebaker Special Six Touring Car

With a .30-30, a dog, a giant plug of chew, and a Studebaker, there was no way that Wallace Bosworth wasn’t going to kill a giant mule deer. He killed this buck in 1929 in the Black Fox Mountains of Siskiyou County, California. In 2009, his grandson Stephen J. Bosworth submitted the deer for scoring. Today, that buck ranks as California’s second-largest typical mule deer of all-time, according to Big Game Records LIVE.
View Score Chart

We’d like to thank Dennis Gooley for sharing his knowledge of classic cars by identifying them for us on this project. Some were difficult to determine with 100% confidence. If you have additional information regarding the make, model, or year on any of these vintage photos, please shoot us an email with the details.

#76 ·

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.