The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

SGL057

455K views 5K replies 105 participants last post by  Dogface 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anybody hunt SGL 057? I saw a camp for sale near there and was wondering if it is worth a closer look. It is just West of the windmills. The closest town I think would be Noxen. Looks like there aren't a lot of camps in that area. might be an advantage. I know some areas of WMU 3B can be really hit or miss as far as deer that's why I ask.
Thanks

#53 ·
I heard that the head of the QDMA in that area was approaching the PGC to try and get doe season suspended on 57 for next year...don't know how it went...
3B does not have a concurrent season, it's 2nd week only. Were trying to eliminate doe hunting entirely? Archery, too? I thought the QDM guys were all for shooting more doe.

#54 ·
He had been introduced to 57 by a fellow who worked for the PGC and was killed in an accident of 57. Believe he was running a tractor on some of the food plots. Anyone know anything about that or about the guy?
I use to know the land manager up on 57 and 13. He retired. I never heard of any PGC accident on 57 where someone was killed. Stories about guys losing arms and legs timbering timbering with the mules. I know a guy that lost a leg timbering and up until about 10 years ago he would out walk just about everyone on the mountain. He still hunts but does it from his truck seen him this season.
Only tractor accident I can recall is ol Floyd C. rolled his tractor in a creek. But trust me ol Floyd never worked for the PGC. Waugh!

#58 ·
25ftup said:
If you guys could help me out with one question. Why is the Mehoopany and North Branch of the Mehoopany always running muddy on opening day? I usually hit them both, but they have been muddied up the last couple years while other streams close by are clear.
This probably going back to the late 80's but my brother and I used to fish a nice hole on the north branch that was just off of rt 87,outside of Forkston.The hole was back behind a house that had a big satt dish in the yard.It was pretty close to Goodwins ball field.Every time we'd walk along the bank of the creek,the flippin guy would come out of that house and start shooting in the trees above our heads with a shotgun.That was a nice hole.

#59 ·
I think the place was called Blue Jays. One of the first buildings on the right as you came in from 487 north. There was also a place across the street, if I remember. There's also Birch Creek in Mildred. Remember the Endicott Johnson shoe factory? Now it's some kind of clothes outlet.

Not familiar with the Roundhouse. The Forksville Inn (Gardners for a spell) and the Green Swan were our hangouts. And the Red Fox in for breakfast.

There's a Sorber in the QDMA? It's not Dave Sorber the taxidermist, is it?

#60 ·
dce...i caught hundreds of trout just down from the bridge were the north and south branch meet....been fishing there since the late 60's! Went to the creek last July...3 evenings in a row and got 10 trout each nite....dont remember the nut job with the gun however...

#61 ·
Surely you guys have visted the Lovelton Hotel lol.I have no idea if it's even still there.I had a couple friends that would get served there when we were in high school and we made quite a few beer runs there.That just reminded me of the wolf man.Remember the guy who had the wolves in cages behind the Lovelton hotel?

#62 ·
irishxc said:
dce...i caught hundreds of trout just down from the bridge were the north and south branch meet....been fishing there since the late 60's! Went to the creek last July...3 evenings in a row and got 10 trout each nite....dont remember the nut job with the gun however...
Not to far from where you'd turn left to go to Dutch mountain,there was a baseball field on the right if you were heading towards Dushore on rt 87.They called it Goodwin's field.Just past that was a house with a big sat dish in the yard.Behind the house there was a small waterfall with a pretty big hole.That was the guy who used to shoot at us.On the first day,he'd go through a couple boxes shooting above all the fisherman's heads.It was so common that nobody ever paid any attention to him lol.I used to do good just above where the north branch crossed rt 87.Again,it been close to 30 years.I grew up on rt 6 about a mile from where rt 6 and rt 87 came together.A couple years ago right after the flood,my daughter was riding in a Rodeo at the Wyoming county fair.It was the first time I'd driven through there in about 10 years and it was tore up pretty bad.I about gave two horses a pretty bad concussion driving on that rd lol.

#64 ·
We used to fish the Little Loyalsock between Dushore and Cherry Mills Lodge when I was a kid. I used to like just wandering up and down the bank, trying to catch suckers and chubs. We also fished Hunters Lake and Lake Jean quite a bit. We also got permission to fish a lot of farm ponds. The pond behind the cabin called "The Hide Away" was my favorite. I think that was on Gainer Hill Road.

#65 ·
DCE..now I know what you are talking about..first trout I ever caught was in that hole...My dad caught a 22 inch rainbow in that hole...haven't fished that hole since the late 70's..as far as the Lovelton..grew up in that bar...remember the stories about the prostitutes from their servicing the hunters on the first day of the rifle season???? I was there 2 weekends ago...do you remeber Tug's Tavern?

#66 ·
jimbridger said:
He had been introduced to 57 by a fellow who worked for the PGC and was killed in an accident of 57. Believe he was running a tractor on some of the food plots. Anyone know anything about that or about the guy?
I use to know the land manager up on 57 and 13. He retired. I never heard of any PGC accident on 57 where someone was killed. Stories about guys losing arms and legs timbering timbering with the mules. I know a guy that lost a leg timbering and up until about 10 years ago he would out walk just about everyone on the mountain. He still hunts but does it from his truck seen him this season.
Only tractor accident I can recall is ol Floyd C. rolled his tractor in a creek. But trust me ol Floyd never worked for the PGC. Waugh!

I believe this happened in the 50's. The guy that was killed was a friend of my friends. They met in Europe during WWII. Guess not too many guys left that would remember that far back. Anyway, we used to have a good time walking all over 57 hunting for grouse and looking to jump shoot ducks and geese on some of the beaver dams.

What I liked about the deer hunting was that you could have a quality hunt the second week, hunting deer in their natural patterns.

I am going back up this year for sure to check it out and also to look over White Ash Land Association. Do you know anything about White Ash Jim?

#70 ·
I used to like going to Lopez to see the bears. The bears would visit the dump at the end of a street. There was a guy that had a photography shop and he always had great pictures of the bears. Think his name is Bob McGuire. Waugh!

#72 ·
my uncle and a friend of his hunted and scouted 57,13 and root hollow extensively. long before gps'. my uncle has topo maps marked with every buck rub and scrap they encountered. very easy to see where the deer activity was. the ground they would cover while scouting was enormous. stories of getting stuck on the RR grade at dark. walking miles before encountering someone.
I gave a guy a ride off of cider run one day. he asked me if I can drop him off at torcheys. a little on the rough side.
thought opossum brook fed the Mehoopany where that and south branch came together.
I always liked Camp Earl on the top of Dutch Mtn Rd, right before you head down into windy valley. I knew a guy who was a member there. showed me pics of a huge 10 or 12 pt they killed there. the body of that deer was huge.

how about when they stocked the deer up there?

huge bodied deer from some northern state if I remember correctly.

anyone remember that?

#73 ·
I am going back up this year for sure to check it out and also to look over White Ash Land Association. Do you know anything about White Ash Jim?
White ash don't ring a bell. The place has changed since the 70's. Better access but many of the beaver ponds are just wet spots now. I did see beaver working at Mt Springs this year so maybe things are looking up. We use to get geese off henery lott swamp and had the place to ourselves.

There were not many food plotts back in the day. Maybe a few wide logging roads seeded with grasses and such but not like today with all the cole crops and such. Heck for lunch all you need is olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper.
Waugh!

#74 ·
irishxc said:
DCE..now I know what you are talking about..first trout I ever caught was in that hole...My dad caught a 22 inch rainbow in that hole...haven't fished that hole since the late 70's..as far as the Lovelton..grew up in that bar...remember the stories about the prostitutes from their servicing the hunters on the first day of the rifle season???? I was there 2 weekends ago...do you remeber Tug's Tavern?
I never heard about the Prostitutes lol.We were in and out,just happy to get some beer.I think I was in Tug's once,after a softball game.

#76 ·
most of the Sorbers belong to the QDMA. Chip is correct I do believe.
Most of the Sorbers are good people as well. Waugh!

Speaking of Sorbers the mountain with the same name is also part of SGL57. Waugh!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.