The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

SGL057

455K views 5K replies 105 participants last post by  RyanR 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does anybody hunt SGL 057? I saw a camp for sale near there and was wondering if it is worth a closer look. It is just West of the windmills. The closest town I think would be Noxen. Looks like there aren't a lot of camps in that area. might be an advantage. I know some areas of WMU 3B can be really hit or miss as far as deer that's why I ask.
Thanks

#27 ·
There used to be a camp where kasson brook crossed the road.I remember there was a sign with the names and dates at that camp of a few people that were supposedly bitten and killed by snakes in that area.Starting to bring back some cool memories.When I was about 9 years old,my grandfather would drop me off at one creek and he'd fish a different one.He'd leave me out there all day by myself lol.I used to pack a ruger single 6 22 mag just in case.He never batted an eye about leaving a 9 year old kid out there by himself,let alone packing heat.Times have changed.

#28 ·
Times sure have changed LOL. One camp at the mouth of Kasson brook was called Pringle camp. Great guys in that camp. Gave me a ride around the Mt when I came off the wrong side in the fog one year. Now there is a home there and the old camp is gone. I wish I could get the one up stream a bit it has a nice swimming hole for the wife. And thanks for the reminder I like to visit the frozen falls. Waugh!

#29 ·
I've been hunting whitetails for over 45 years. I've hunted most of the Eastern States, including Maine, and the absolute biggest buck I have ever seen was in SGL 57. I hunted him for three years and to the best of my knowledge no one ever got him. We took some nice 10pt. bucks out of there but nothing like this MONSTER. His rubs were so large they didn't look real, sometimes we thought someone was playing a joke, but one late October day we caught him in the act.Till this day we talk about those rubs, never seen anything close, not even on all the modern deer videos. One of the strange things about this buck was that he was always accompanied by 11-12 does, it didn't matter what time of year it was. A deer season doesn't go by that we don't bring him up!

#31 ·
I grew up on 57 and Red Rock mtn behind the PennyBar in Jamison City...used to hike up the railroad bed to fish Bowman's as it came out of MTn Springs...believe it or not the PA Fish Comm used to stock it along way up...used to fish the Mehoopany on the Forkston side, again 2 mile walk upstream from parking the car...hunted Sommers Brook this year for bear off of the Meat Trail....Hunted bear for like 10 straight years in the 70s and early 80s at Cider Run...great thread, brings back tons on memories of my dad, thank you for this!

#33 ·
If you guys could help me out with one question. Why is the Mehoopany and North Branch of the Mehoopany always running muddy on opening day? I usually hit them both, but they have been muddied up the last couple years while other streams close by are clear.

#35 ·
I remember hunting Cider Run when the game land road was gated off....parked at the bottom along Bowman's at like 4am....walked all the way to the Cider Run parking area and there was a guy already posted near the road...the hunter had a BROKEN LEG! We started walking in at 4, I have no idea what time this guy must have started, and he was on crutches. I was 13 or 14 at the time, I knew right then, these Noxen bear hunters are crazy!!

#37 ·
Irish, that is very possible, but without really exploring it looked as if it was from runoff coming down the mtn. I thought also it could be from the Nat gas stuff? My camp is about 15 minutes from the Colley Tavern, so I usually go at first light to check it out on the opener then turn around and fish streams in Sullivan and southern Bradford county.

#41 ·
Best prime rib I've ever had is at the Central.

Hot open-faced roast beef sammies: Forksville Inn

Breakfast: #3 at the Red Fox Inn on 220.

My favorite hangout was the Green Swan Inn in Dushore. Cheeseburger and fries and a rice pudding for desert. Quarterflash's Harden my Heart or Rush's Tom Sawyer on the jukebox. If a football game was on, I played Asteroids. If not, my dad and I played pinball. The owner was a real estate agent (John Huddock). I remember his twin boys were waitors.

Eaglesmere toboggan slide, Dushore outhouse races, Forksville bow festival. All great times. Used to belong to a hunting camp on Lambert's Hill. Our local mart was Mulleneaux (sp?). All the guys called her the laughing lady. The Loyalsock Outfitters was our Cabela's.

So many good times growing up enjoying Sullivan County.

As a 20 something, used to hang out at Harvey's Lake. Grotto's and the Grand Slam Sports Bar....saw the Scorpions and Alice Cooper at the lake.

#42 ·
25ftup said:
Irish, that is very possible, but without really exploring it looked as if it was from runoff coming down the mtn. I thought also it could be from the Nat gas stuff? My camp is about 15 minutes from the Colley Tavern, so I usually go at first light to check it out on the opener then turn around and fish streams in Sullivan and southern Bradford county.
The floods in the fall of 2011 caused massive disturbance in the headwaters of Mehoopany Creek. I was up there since the floods to fish for brookies on one of the tribs and was amazed at how churned up things were.

Massive scour in the stream valleys, massive piles of rocks and trees, places where the stream channel was filled in with rocks, and jumped to the other side of the valley, and landslides that came the whole way down the hillslope and dumped rocks, trees and soil down in the stream valley.

The high flows in the spring are still probably mobilizing a lot of that sediment and still causing muddy water.

You can still see a lot of the flood effects by looking at satellite photos on AcmeMapper.com.

Just put in Mehoopany Creek or Forkson, PA in the search bar. You can click on Topo view to navigate to the upper headwater areas in the SGLs.

Then click on Satellite view. It's still easy to see the extreme scour along upper Mehoopany and its tribs, several years after the flood.

#47 ·
WOL, WOW, can't believe you mentioned "the laughing lady"!
That brings back some memories. When I was a kid we would go there for ice cream
and then go down the road to watch a big
field along 87 and wait for the deer to come off the mountain
in the evening. That was also our lunch spot later on when we would drive to Sully for a day trip.

#48 ·
13 & 57 are good areas, spent alot of time there. Like any
other area, the deer are there, just have to find them.
If you look at the Sullivan Review they take some big ones there every year.

#49 ·
ACEarcher said:
Anybody hunt SGL 057? I saw a camp for sale near there and was wondering if it is worth a closer look? It is just West of the windmills. Closest town I think would be Noxen. Looks like their isn't a lot of camps in that area. might be an advantage. I know some areas of WMU 3B can be real hit or miss as far as deer that's why I ask.
Thanks
Good thread, glad you started it! Brings back some good memories for me. Hunting 57 for ducks, grouse, turkeys and deer with an older guy who showed me all over AND walked my butt off. He had been introduced to 57 by a fellow who worked for the PGC and was killed in an accident of 57. Believe he was running a tractor on some of the food plots. Anyone know anything about that or about the guy?

Also hunted White Ash Land Association with my dad a lot for deer in the 70's. Shot my first buck there. Anyone belong to White Ash?

Anyway, has me thinking I should get back up there.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.