First Time AR-15 Buyer... I'm going crazy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

First Time AR-15 Buyer... I'm going crazy

Hey everyone,

So i am looking to buy my first AR, I cannot make up my mind and I feel like my head spins the more and more I research them.

I narrowed it down to 2-3 Colt 6920, S&W M&P Sport II, or the Ruger AR556.

I am leaning away from the S&W because I would really prefer an AR that is in FDE and I can't find hardly any like that. I did find several Ruger and Colt's in FDE on Gunbroker.com.

I don't want to break the bank especially I really probably won't end up shooting it that much, I really just want it for protection. I'm leaning towards the Ruger because of the price point but everything I read says Colt is the best hands down. Can anyone off some insight that may help me decide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Join the club. I can't help you much. There are so many to choose from, but, in general I think you get what you pay for. I'm looking at HM Defence.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 PM
The Man

if you think you might want to hunt with it, keep the different calibers in mind too. rock river arms has some in FDE and black, snow camo, etc...pretty much all set up for what ever you have in mind.

a hunting caliber makes a good self defense caliber too. if you get one in .223, just make sure its actually chambered for the 5.56, that way you can shoot both with out any problems. also if hunting with the .223/5.56 look for the premium class bullets like the barnes vor-tx.

good luck.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have had great luck with DPMs and the amount of accessories for it. Just bought an LR-308 made by DPMS. Supposed to be one of the best. I actually have 2 AR-15 made by DPMS and I reload my own ammo and have never had ftf or any other problems.

DPMS seems to get a bad rap but I am completely happy with mine......MHO
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_geo View Post
I have had great luck with DPMs and the amount of accessories for it. Just bought an LR-308 made by DPMS. Supposed to be one of the best. I actually have 2 AR-15 made by DPMS and I reload my own ammo and have never had ftf or any other problems.

DPMS seems to get a bad rap but I am completely happy with mine......MHO
i have a DPMS that i tricked out, well, just actually changed the furniture to make it look better. its now a 2-tone, FDE and black. shoots great out to 200 yards.

thats as far as i have shot it. it has a 16 inch barrel with a 1:9 twist and will stabilize a 64 grain bullet.
Phantom_geo likes this.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post
i have a DPMS that i tricked out, well, just actually changed the furniture to make it look better. its now a 2-tone, FDE and black. shoots great out to 200 yards.

thats as far as i have shot it. it has a 16 inch barrel with a 1:9 twist and will stabilize a 64 grain bullet.
I guess they had a bad rap years ago but they seem pretty darn good to me. Fit and finish seem as good as any other I have looked at. I haven't really tricked it out yet. My wife shoots the at-15 Sportical and does really well with it. I shoot the at-15 oracle and just bought the oracle lr-308 that I would like to change a bit. Hope it's as good as the at-15's
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 PM
The Man

i had the local gunsmith polish the trigger for $35.00 and i installed the Accu-wedge to tighten things up. what a difference in the size of the group just from those 2 modifications.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Get the 6920 as Colts retain their value and the 6920 is the standard for AR15.

I would not get a Ruger AR15 myself, but that's just me.

You could always paint or add the parts in FDE if it's that big of a deal.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 PM

I was in the same boat as you not long ago. Wanting my first AR, but a budget AR since it would just be something I take to the range a couple times a year at best. I did a lot of researching and came across an interesting article that Field and Stream did about "budget" AR's. The Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II ended up being the best overall out of all of them. I just bought one a few weeks ago from slickguns.com that came to $525 after shipping. I couldn't pass that up.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 AM
The Man

AND...you can always "trick" it out as time and money permit....I did

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page