The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

First Time AR-15 Buyer... I'm going crazy

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  mad4268 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

So i am looking to buy my first AR, I cannot make up my mind and I feel like my head spins the more and more I research them.

I narrowed it down to 2-3 Colt 6920, S&W M&P Sport II, or the Ruger AR556.

I am leaning away from the S&W because I would really prefer an AR that is in FDE and I can't find hardly any like that. I did find several Ruger and Colt's in FDE on Gunbroker.com.

I don't want to break the bank especially I really probably won't end up shooting it that much, I really just want it for protection. I'm leaning towards the Ruger because of the price point but everything I read says Colt is the best hands down. Can anyone off some insight that may help me decide?

#3 ·
if you think you might want to hunt with it, keep the different calibers in mind too. rock river arms has some in FDE and black, snow camo, etc...pretty much all set up for what ever you have in mind.

a hunting caliber makes a good self defense caliber too. if you get one in .223, just make sure its actually chambered for the 5.56, that way you can shoot both with out any problems. also if hunting with the .223/5.56 look for the premium class bullets like the barnes vor-tx.

good luck.

#4 ·
I have had great luck with DPMs and the amount of accessories for it. Just bought an LR-308 made by DPMS. Supposed to be one of the best. I actually have 2 AR-15 made by DPMS and I reload my own ammo and have never had ftf or any other problems.

DPMS seems to get a bad rap but I am completely happy with mine......MHO

#5 ·
i have a DPMS that i tricked out, well, just actually changed the furniture to make it look better. its now a 2-tone, FDE and black. shoots great out to 200 yards.

thats as far as i have shot it. it has a 16 inch barrel with a 1:9 twist and will stabilize a 64 grain bullet.

#9 ·
I was in the same boat as you not long ago. Wanting my first AR, but a budget AR since it would just be something I take to the range a couple times a year at best. I did a lot of researching and came across an interesting article that Field and Stream did about "budget" AR's. The Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II ended up being the best overall out of all of them. I just bought one a few weeks ago from slickguns.com that came to $525 after shipping. I couldn't pass that up.

#12 · (Edited)
I was in the same boat and decided that I didn't want to chance getting something that I wasn't going to be happy with and have it just sit in the safe. ( I have plenty there already )
So I stopped at a fairly new shop in my area. After talking to the shop owner, Josh, he was extremely knowledgeable. Told him that I wanted my AR to shoot 1" groups at 100yds. He gave me a couple factors that would effect accuracy, like barrel, and trigger, so being half of what he was saying was Greek at the time I told him I also wanted it to look cool. He said, he could build me what I was looking for. Now at this point I made the decision to go ahead and spend the money, more than I originally planned and said" go ahead and build it". Well am I ever glad I did, it is a complete custom build that started with a Matched S&W upper and lower, 18" fluted stainless Wilson combat barrel, 3 lb Timney trigger, full length gas tube, Anti fail bolt, spikes tactical T2 buffer tube, Daniel defense adjustable stock and grip. Had him do a custom Cerakote tungsten color ( which they do)and then I found a scope to top it off. ATN x-sight II, day/night digital scope.
I spent plenty on the gun and scope but it is turning out to be one of my favorites to go shoot. I have it just about dialed in hitting 3 shot in a 3/4" circle at 100. Can't wait to get it out in the field and kill some g'hogs. Can see pictures of it on shops FB page at Susquehanna valley firearms. I guess my point would be talk to the professionals before you go spend money on a cheapy. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

#14 ·
Ever consider building one? It helps spread the cost out over a couple months, it’s pretty easy, and a lot of fun. You also learn the ins and outs of all parts which makes maintenance and future improvements a breeze.

All 3 brands you mentioned would be fine choices. The great thing about AR’s is that you can easily swap out things you want to change down the road after shooting it for a while.

There are plenty of success stories online and Youtube of people Cerakoting to their color of choice if FDE is your thing. I built one and had some FDE parts from different manufacturers that didn’t really match and debated trying Cerakote but ended up accepting it as is lol.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.