2017 Blue Law anti-SH, Religion and the Spin - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

 15Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
SRA-5C+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester county
Posts: 1,632
Angry 2017 Blue Law anti-SH, Religion and the Spin

2017 is upon us and we are no closer to being able to hunt deer in Pa on Sunday anytime soon. The PGC meeting has come and gone and we can not expect to see this on the agenda for another year. I find this whole denial of our simple rights as hunters to choose weather we want to hunt on Sundays or not a direct violation of our rights. Anti-Sunday hunting blue laws came into effect simply because people deemed the rest of Pa hunters not worthy to be in the woods and wanted them in church filling the pews and the coffers, not in Pennsylvania woods. The attitude that we should be in church and not the woods is in my opinion a direct violation of our rights and is in part discriminatory. What right does this Blue law have to dictate what we are allowed and not allowed to do on Sunday and negates our ability to choose either?


It is a disheartening stand our fellow brethren take for this biased law to be upheld. What difference does it make to you that people choose to be in the woods when you are off doing whatever you "choose" to do with your Sunday. What affect does it have on you and your choice to not hunt? None, is the correct answer, and this debate rages on in our ranks. I simply think that those against do not have any base except "tradition". Ok, tradition was just shot full of holes with the passing of Semi autos. Tradition is not being able to buy liquor on Sunday, well that is no more. Tradition is fine but it is also subject to change. And change for this antiquated blue law and the simple meaning of Church biased is something that needs to change in Pa. In closing I believe that this simple right to choose is just that a right to choose what we can do on Sunday and unrestricted by the religious spin. Freedom of many things is what makes our nation special, and this is biased and restrictive in nature and needs to be changed.


When I say hunting on Sunday, it means to Hunt Whitetails on Sunday in Pa and not crows, groundhogs....or the like. And if the PFB wants to shut down properties, I say have at it, when the overall harvest goes down on those properties and crop damage goes up, they too will learn. In closing, say what you will, this is restrictive, biased and somewhat illegal for them to deny the right to hunt on Sunday over religion. And yes, this is the right place for this... In the Sunday hunting section.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
SRA-5C+ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pa. Philadelphia
Posts: 2,379
You do not have all your facts straight. It is the legislature that must change the Sunday hunting ban. The PGC can do nothing about it until the law is changed. It has in the past already stated that it would welcome the change & would regulate Sunday hunting. You seem to believe that people of the Christian faith are stopping the passage of Sunday hunting. That I do not believe is true. Yes the Blue law was put in place back in 1873, some say it was a continuation, from the 1700's,& yes at that time religion played a role, but I have heard of no one using religious reasons for not changing the law now. The biggest obstacles are the Pa. farm bureau & a good size minority of hunters not wanting it to change. I have not heard of any Christian denomination coming out an opposing Sunday Hunting. Now I may be mistaken, but your post seems to hint that you have a dislike of religion in general.
Mike M. is online now  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 2,561
I support Sunday hunting...at the least I support abolishing the (IMO now antihunting) Blue Law that restricts it, and allowing the PGC to regulate Sundays...like Mike M. said...you need to get your facts straight...you need to know your opposition, and your allies...you also need to understand that the PGC supports having controll of SH...but can do nothing until the legislature changes or eliminates the SH Blue Law.
nomad_archer likes this.
whil e kioti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
SRA-5C+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester county
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M. View Post
You do not have all your facts straight. It is the legislature that must change the Sunday hunting ban. The PGC can do nothing about it until the law is changed. It has in the past already stated that it would welcome the change & would regulate Sunday hunting. You seem to believe that people of the Christian faith are stopping the passage of Sunday hunting. That I do not believe is true. Yes the Blue law was put in place back in 1873, some say it was a continuation, from the 1700's,& yes at that time religion played a role, but I have heard of no one using religious reasons for not changing the law now. The biggest obstacles are the Pa. farm bureau & a good size minority of hunters not wanting it to change. I have not heard of any Christian denomination coming out an opposing Sunday Hunting. Now I may be mistaken, but your post seems to hint that you have a dislike of religion in general.

Reread my post. I have no problem with religion. My problem is it being used as one of the biased reasons to shut hunters out of SH.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
SRA-5C+ is online now  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
SRA-5C+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester county
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
I support Sunday hunting...at the least I support abolishing the (IMO now antihunting) Blue Law that restricts it, and allowing the PGC to regulate Sundays...like Mike M. said...you need to get your facts straight...you need to know your opposition, and your allies...you also need to understand that the PGC supports having controll of SH...but can do nothing until the legislature changes or eliminates the SH Blue Law.

Right, the legislature does have this control, and the reasons are many, the PFB being one. And Tradition another as well as religious biased, based ideals. That is how this came about. And it is time to end it.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
SRA-5C+ is online now  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
dpms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 15,300
Every year, the opposition seems less and less to Sunday hunting. As our older hunter population hangs it up, resistance from within will keep decreasing.

We will see it in time. For now, I will keep the pressure on my elected officials to overturn this old law. There are some new bills being floated as we speak.

The PGC would be well served to also keep the pressure on the general assembly. Also, the PGC needs to keep the PFB on their toes as they keep asking for more tools(hunters) to help with crop losses. If the PFB wants more tools, there should be some concessions made, which would be a lessening of their resistance to SH.

I support all hunters!
dpms is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clinton County
Posts: 347
Another good reason to have sunday hunting is our youth. They are at school through the week, practices and activites at night throughout the week. Saturdays often see games for sports, which leaves sunday......oh wait, no sunday hunting..... At best, this would give youth, our future generation of hunters, the ability to get out two days a week. If they play sports, it gives them the ability to get out for one day......on sunday.


I am sick and tired of hearing about tradition, and religion, so lets break them down.


Tradition is great if it is beneficial. Friday night bonding at camp before buck season, weekend trout opener at camp, blood on your face and a pic with your first kill. These are all meaningful. Not hunting on sunday, well, that's just a deterrent to get our youth away from x-boxes and out in the woods.


Religion is always a sticky topic. I will speak from a general Christian belief. Sundays are for church, for family, and for hobbies and leisure, and also a day of rest from work. Lets say that half of the hunters attend church regularly with their kids, that still leaves from noon on for time in the field with those same kids. Time bonding over a great leisure activity. For the other half that doesn't go to church, it gives them a whole day.


I will also address the landowner aspect. Just because a law says its legal doesn't mean a landowner will allow it. They have the right to say you will not hunt my ground on sunday. So for all you landowners, there's your answer!
Creekside is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 346
Just happy I can hunt 6 out of seven days. Even do some crow hunting some Sunday afternoons. Hope it stays the way it is. If they give us Sunday hunting you can bet Deer season will start on Saturday and I think it should if we have Sunday hunting. I can here the cry babies now!
bad primer and Bigbrownie like this.
Shed Antler is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pa. Lackawanna Scranton
Posts: 2,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA-5C+ View Post
Right, the legislature does have this control, and the reasons are many, the PFB being one. And Tradition another as well as religious biased, based ideals. That is how this came about. And it is time to end it.
IMO, you are off base believing tradition and religion are reasons we still don't have SH.

Yes religion WAS the reason the Blue Laws were created...IIRC there were no religous orgs that were opposed to HB1760...neither was there any traditional reasons given in opposition...it was the political pressure applied to the legislature by the PFB and the other non-hunting orgs that killed the chance to bring it up for a vote.
Mike M. likes this.
whil e kioti is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
SRA-5C+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chester county
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by whil e kioti View Post
IMO, you are off base believing tradition and religion are reasons we still don't have SH.

Yes religion WAS the reason the Blue Laws were created...IIRC there were no religous orgs that were opposed to HB1760...neither was there any traditional reasons given in opposition...it was the political pressure applied to the legislature by the PFB and the other non-hunting orgs that killed the chance to bring it up for a vote.



Right, this law was created out of religion. And if no orgs fight it, why does it still exist... ? Ah, again... Tradition. Does not make it right.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
SRA-5C+ is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome