Reloading for Ar .223/5.56 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Reloading for Ar .223/5.56

I have 2 questions for those who may reload for an AR .223/5.56. You can skip the basic reloading thoughts, I have been reloading for over 50 years, lots for big bore competition, but I have never reloaded for a semi auto. Am curious what people on this forum do.
1. sizing die. full length or small base ?
2. crimp or not crimp ?

I am looking at loading speer 70 gr. or barnes 70 gr. for hunting if they don't put a caliber restriction on the semi bill.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Go with the Barnes.... I killed pigs dead with it... I use a regular sizing die, you really don't need the small base unless you have competition rifle and that chamber is wicked tight. As for the crimp... I use a light to moderate crimp, just because I always crimp. SOme people don't, like my buddy... but I used my finger to push a bullet or two into the case to show him how easy it is. It can happen on feeding from the aggressive action.
jimsdad likes this.

Treat me good, I treat you better. Treat me bad, I treat you worse.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

my load is... 24gr CFE223 under a Barnes 70Gr TSX. CCI 400 Primer

Treat me good, I treat you better. Treat me bad, I treat you worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
New Arrival

I shoot 69gr Sierra Match kings, 25 grains Hogdon Varget, CCI #41 MilSpec primers, very light to no crimp.

I have been told you have to use the small base die set for .223/5.56 semi-auto. Don't know if that is true, but that is what I bought. $40 is not to much to spend to make sure I won't blow my face off. Same with CCI #41 primers, due to the AR's floating firing pin, but everyone said small rifle primers are fine. Again, I found #41's at a gun show and a LGS ordered some for me, so I bought and use them. I might test some Barnes for a yote hunting round when the regs are in for AR use.

Free men do not need permission to bear arms - Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Biggest caution for a floating pin is avoiding benchrest primers.

Chamber a round, don't fire it, then pull it out and look at the primer. I haven't done this with an AR, but with an M1/M1A, you'll find a faint mark on the primer. That's where the pin actually did hit the primer when you chambered the round, just didn't have enough force to dent it. But you'll see a small scuff where the pin did dink the primer lightly.

I've never used them, but I've been cautioned that BR primers are soft enough that they COULD permit a slamfire.

I've just avoided them because I don't see any reason to ask for problems, lol.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 04:11 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Biggest caution for a floating pin is avoiding benchrest primers.

Chamber a round, don't fire it, then pull it out and look at the primer. I haven't done this with an AR, but with an M1/M1A, you'll find a faint mark on the primer. That's where the pin actually did hit the primer when you chambered the round, just didn't have enough force to dent it. But you'll see a small scuff where the pin did dink the primer lightly.

I've never used them, but I've been cautioned that BR primers are soft enough that they COULD permit a slamfire.

I've just avoided them because I don't see any reason to ask for problems, lol.
My 300 AAC Blackout pistol build (my first AR build) left more than faint mark, it left a noticeable mark, enough to give me the willies! I took it to my LGS and had the gunsmith check it over to make sure I didn't forget to put in "that gizzy" that keeps it from slam-firing.

Free men do not need permission to bear arms - Thomas Jefferson
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

1) Full length resize with regular FL dies for AR. I've been reloading for my AR for several years, no need for small base die.

2) No crimp.

3) I've reloaded and shot many thousands of rounds through my AR's and I use regular CCI 400 primers.
NA_Wreckdiver likes this.

Steve
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by .204 View Post
I am looking at loading speer 70 gr. or barnes 70 gr. for hunting if they don't put a caliber restriction on the semi bill.
Make sure you are a 1:8 twist or faster. The 70 gr. Barnes don't stabilize too well in anything slower.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

FL resize, no crimp. 69 Nos Custom Comp, CCI41's 24.5 Varget. Works well out of both of my NM rifles and the A1 build. The shooting partner uses the same under a 69 Sierra MK.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:14 AM
The Man

To confuse the subject I use full length and SB dies depending on which AR I'm loading for but if its a load I'll use for plinking for any ARs I use the SB.

A few years ago I bought a crimp die to try out.

I took a proven load and a good shooting rifle and shot two 10 shot groups.

The first group was the proven load and not crimped. It usually shoots into less than an inch and it did on this day.

The second group was the proven load but crimped.

The second group opened up to 1.5".

It may have been that particular load or I may have done something wrong but the crimp hurt the groups.

I have wanted to experiment with some other crimped loads but haven't yet.

Home of the free because of the brave!

The Republic was saved by a brave electorate on 11/8/2016.
Long Live The Republic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page